The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Aftermarket Exhaust Not Alowed In Mass?

Old 01-28-2007, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok, So I have had my exhaust on my car since august. It was the the exhaust setup that XRGuy was selling a while back, MBRP and OBX headers.

So im not from Mass but I go to school in Hartford and I'm like 20 minutes from Springfield. So this morning me and a few of my buddies were driving up to Mount Snow in Vermont. Mass was loaded with troopers probably because it was the end of the month but regardless I had passed at least 3 troopers then I pass this other one and I see the car pull out behind me...Its a 65mph zone and I was doing 70mph so I was thinking this guy is going to be a prick and give me a ticket for going 5mph over the speed limit.

Turns out it she pulled me over for my exhaust and proceeds to tell me that aftermarket exhausts are not allowed in the state of Massachusetts. Takes me license and registration and sits in her car for like 10 minutes then just gives me a verbal warning.

Now was this trooper just bullshitting me and had nothing better to do or is there some law that aftermarket exhaust aren't allowed in Mass? I just want to know because I drive up to Vermont a lot and I don't want to deal with this every time I drive through Mass.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:58 PM

here you go, i ran into this site while reading super street.......... enjoy

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?ID=61847

acorrding to the very first one........yes it is illegal.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:04 PM

i may have read that incorectly and if i did then i appologize and ignore me smile.gif

but it THOUGHT it said the bill banning exhaust was dead...

if i misread then again sorry
Old 01-28-2007, 10:17 PM

it is not clear to me either, but i thought that the bill was dead = aftermarket mufflers are legal right?

correct me if i am wrong. cool.gif
Old 01-28-2007, 10:28 PM

yeah, not sure. just keep on keepin on and ask the law why they would right you a ticket if the law was dead as of july, 2006.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:45 PM

another thing you could do is if you know FOR SURE the law is dead and they keep hasseling you. Make them write you the ticket, or get their lieutenant on the phone/radio and tell him about it with the patrolman standing there. It worked for a friend of mine who kept getting hassled about sleeping in his van.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:37 AM

every state has a slightly different law. here in IL any exhaust set up other then OEM is ilegal. DB level doesnt matter, it could be quieter then stock, but because they can see its not a stock muffler, they can give you a ticket, and theres nothing you can do about it.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:19 AM

they're legal. A friend of mine with an RD2 passes inspection with the MBRP catback every year. I have the motoria, and with the silencer I also pass inspection. The law states a certain dB limit. I don't know what the level is, but I saw the inspection guy reving my engine and another guy holding a meter.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:40 AM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundia/Tiburon Fx

They actually are illegal pretty much anything aftermarket you put on your car here is a no go..
I got pulled over at 3am coming home from work after pulling some overtime after pulling off of interstate 91 into Northampton the cop gave me a ticket for my exhaust, aftermarket tail lights, and fog lights!!! I was like I just pulled of the highway less than a min ago and it was foggy!!! I'm still waiting to goto court to fight the ticket. I got a ticket once before for my all clear tail lights on my Altima and when I went to court I brought pic's of my car with all the correct color lights and a couple of pics of the tail lights on a Lexus that come stock all clear and the judge dismissed it. Sooo.... I hope I can beat this 1 to.

ZHIRYST.... It is pretty much up to the cops discretion especially after they passed that law that the state cops get an 2hr overtime for a ticket that is found guilty!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:01 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ya, exhausts are pretty much illegal everywhere. Any increase in sound or pipe diameter is usually illegal. Most of the time cops don't care if its not that loud, sometimes some are pricks.

Here in VA its up to the cop's discretion whats loud and whats not.

I got pulled N/A for it once, after I did a header install. I had to put the stock tip back on to kill the sound.