The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

2 Tickets In 5 Minutes

Old 01-21-2008, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

wow. um yea cops sux an i vote red for the new federal judge for nm
Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

DTN, you are trying to justify yourself, but it doens't matter. I showed you the laws for your area, and it plainly states, ANY vehicle, cannot show blue to the front. Doesn't matter if it's buried in some other section, your car shows blue to the front, and that is for emergency vehicles only.

ONLY.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>SECTION 56-5-4650. Lamps on other vehicles and equipment.

<span style="color:#FF0000"><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">All vehicles,</span></span> including animal-drawn vehicles and implements of husbandry, road machinery or farm tractors and other vehicles not otherwise specifically required to be equipped with lamps, shall at the times specified in Section 56-5-4450 be equipped with at least one lighted lamp or lantern exhibiting a white light visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the front of such vehicle and with a lamp or lantern or reflector exhibiting a red light visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear.</div>

ALL vehciles. Your Tiburon is a vechile, ALL VEHICLES. Headlight, Headlamp, same difference. A lamp, by definition, is a light, and your HID's, are lights.

How many RED or BLUE LANTERNS have you ever seen?

Exactly bro.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH HID's, and even states that forbid them unless OEM, don't give a rats ass as long as they are pointed right, and not ricer blue or red.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>SECTION 56-5-4700. Audible signal devices and <span style="color:#FF0000"><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">signal lamps for authorized emergency vehicles, school buses and police vehicles; restrictions on use; effect of use.</span></span>

(A) Every authorized emergency vehicle shall, in addition to any other equipment and distinctive markings required by this chapter, be equipped with a siren, exhaust whistle, or bell capable of giving an audible signal.

(B) Every school bus and every authorized emergency vehicle, in addition to any other equipment and distinctive markings required by this chapter, must be equipped with signal lamps mounted as high and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, which must be capable of displaying to the front two alternately flashing red lights located at the same level and to the rear two alternately flashing red lights located at the same level, and these lights must have sufficient intensity to be visible at five hundred feet in normal sunlight. However, vehicles of a fire department or funeral home when equipped with a mounted, oscillating, rotating, or flashing red light, visible in all directions for a distance of five hundred feet in normal sunlight, are not required to have additional signal lamps.

© All police vehicles when used as authorized emergency vehicles must be equipped with oscillating, rotating, or flashing blue lights. In addition to the blue lights, the police vehicle may, but need not be equipped with alternately flashing red lights as herein specified, and may, but need not be equipped with oscillating, rotating, or flashing red lights, white lights, or both, in combination with the required blue lights. The authorized emergency police vehicle lights described herein must be visible for a distance of five hundred feet in all directions in normal sunlight. <span style="color:#FF0000">It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or display on any vehicle any blue light that is visible from outside the vehicle except one used primarily for law enforcement purposes.</span>

(D) The alternately flashing lighting described in subsection (B) of this section shall not be used on any vehicle other than an authorized emergency vehicle. Provided, that a school bus may use the alternately flashing red lighting described in subsection (B), or red flashing lights in the rear and amber flashing lights in the front.

(E) The use of the signal equipment described herein shall impose upon drivers of other vehicles the obligation to yield right-of-way and stop as prescribed in Sections 56-5-2360 and 56-5-2770.</div>

You ARE a person, and you DO possess and display, on your VEHICLE, blue light that is visible from outside your vehicle, and are NOT an agent of Law enforcement.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>SECTION 56-5-4830. <span style="color:#FF0000"><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">Special restrictions on lamps; degree of intensity</span></span>; red, <span style="color:#FF0000"><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">blue</span></span> and flashing lights.

Any lighted lamp or illuminating device upon a motor vehicle, other than head lamps, spot lamps, auxiliary lamps, flashing turn signals, emergency vehicle warning lamps, and school bus warning lamps, which project a beam of light of an intensity greater than three hundred candlepower shall be so directed that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than seventy-five feet from the vehicle.

<span style="color:#FF0000"><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">A person shall not drive, move, or park any vehicle or equipment upon a highway with a lamp or device on it displaying a red or blue light visible from directly in front of the center of it. This section shall not apply to a vehicle upon which a red or blue light visible from the front is expressly authorized or required by this chapter.</span></span>

Flashing lights are prohibited except on an authorized emergency vehicle, school bus, snow-removal equipment, or on any vehicle as a means of indicating a right or left turn or the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking, or passing.</div>

You again are a person, you are driving, moving, and parking your VEHICLE upon a highway (defined in most states as any public roadway) with a lamp displaying blue light visible from directly in front of the car. You are not required to use blue light in this chapter.

I'm not being an ass, but that's the simple definitions here, and that's how they define it. You have a vehicle. You have lamps/lights on it. They show blue to the front. Blue is for emergency/law enforcement vehicles only.

BTW, I went to look this up because this same law is in Kansas, and almost everywhere I've ever been. NM allows almost any lights you want, except for blue/red to the front, or blue to the rear.

South Carolina DOES have the Dazzling Lights provision too, so you could be hit there.

The point is, if you attract attention, you get attention. This is why I stayed away from coloring exterior lights. My HID's are 8300K, and I dont' get in any trouble.

Furthermore, on that same page.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>SECTION 56-5-120. Vehicle.

Every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks, is a "vehicle."

SECTION 56-5-130. Motor vehicle.

Every vehicle which is self-propelled, except mopeds, and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, is a "motor vehicle". SECTION 56-5-130. Motor vehicle.

Every vehicle which is self-propelled, except mopeds, and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, is a "motor vehicle".

SECTION 56-5-430. Street; highway.

The entire width between boundary lines of every way publicly maintained when any part thereof is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel is a "street" or "highway."</div>

Then there's this one, I missed it last night.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>SECTION 56-5-4490. <span style="color:#FF0000"><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">Head lamps required on motor vehicles</span></span> and motorcycles.

Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least two head lamps with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle. Such <span style="color:#FF0000">head lamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this article.</span> Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two head lamps which shall comply with the requirements and limitations of this article.</div>

Your vehicle has the proper amount of headlamps, but they do not comply with the limitations of this article. That limitation being NO BLUE FACING TO THE FRONT.

I'm sorry bro, but it's right there, and wrangling can't get you out of it. These laws are sweeping, and generalized, for a reason, and each one of them encompasses your car.

As for the other ticket...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>ARTICLE 11.

RESTRICTIONS ON SPEED; RACING

SECTION 56-5-1520. General rules as to maximum speed limits; lower speeds may be required.

(A) A person shall not drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. Speed must be so controlled to avoid colliding with a person, vehicle, or other conveyance on or entering the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of a person to use care.

(B) Except when a special hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance with subsection (A), the limits specified in this section or established as hereinafter authorized are maximum lawful speeds, and a person shall not drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed in excess of these maximum limits:

(1) seventy miles an hour on the interstate highway system and other freeways where official signs giving notice of this speed are posted;

(2) sixty miles an hour on multilane divided primary highways where official signs giving notice of this speed limit are posted;

(3) fifty-five miles an hour in other locations or on other sections of highways and unpaved roads are limited to the speed of forty miles an hour; and

(4) manufactured, modular, or mobile homes must not be transported at a speed in excess of ten miles below the maximum posted speed limit when the maximum posted speed limit is in excess of forty-five miles an hour, and never in excess of fifty-five miles an hour.

© Thirty miles an hour is the maximum speed in an urban district. "Urban district" means the territory contiguous to and including any street which is built up with structures devoted to business, industry, or dwelling houses situated at intervals of less than one hundred feet for a distance of a quarter of a mile or more.

(D) A local authority on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation may determine that the maximum speed limit permitted under this article is less than thirty miles an hour in an urban district. If this determination is made, the maximum speed limit for the urban district is enforceable by all law enforcement officers authorized to enforce the traffic laws in the urban district. However, this subsection does not apply to highways within the state highway system contained in Section 56-5-1530.

(E) The maximum speed limits set forth in this section may be altered pursuant to Sections 56-5-1530 and 56-5-1540.

<span style="color:#FF0000">(F) The driver of a vehicle shall drive, consistent with the requirements of subsection (A), at an appropriate reduced speed when approaching and crossing an intersection or railway grade crossing, when approaching and going around a curve, approaching a hillcrest, when traveling upon any narrow bridge, narrow or winding roadway, and when special hazard exists with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions.</span>

(G) A person violating the speed limits established by this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction for a first offense, must be fined or imprisoned as follows:

(1) in excess of the above posted limit but not in excess of ten miles an hour by a fine of not less than fifteen dollars nor more than twenty-five dollars;

(2) in excess of ten miles an hour but less than fifteen miles an hour above the posted limit by a fine of not less than twenty-five dollars nor more than fifty dollars;

(3) in excess of fifteen miles an hour but less than twenty-five miles an hour above the posted limit by a fine of not less than fifty dollars nor more than seventy-five dollars; and

(4) in excess of twenty-five miles an hour above the posted limit by a fine of not less than seventy-five dollars nor more than two hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than thirty days.

(H) A citation for violating the speed limits issued by any authorized officer must note on it the rate of speed for which the citation is issued.

(I) In expending the funds credited to the state general fund from fines generated under subsection (G), the Department of Public Safety first shall consider the need for additional highway patrolmen.</div>

They could have gotten you for that, by reading that whole section, if you are crossing an intersection at the speed limit, you can be in trouble. Turning would be even more likely to get you one, as they could easily say you were showing off by taking the intersection turn at speed.

Other than that, I saw nothing about "picking up speed', but I did get a warning for the same thing a few years ago here.

Other retarded stuff I found and you are guilty of. lmao.gif nana.gif drillsergeant.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>SECTION 56-5-4445. Unlawful to elevate or lower motor vehicle; exception for "pickup trucks".

It shall be unlawful for any person to drive a passenger motor vehicle on the highways of this State which has been elevated or lowered either in front or back more than six inches by a modification, alteration or change in the physical structure of the vehicle. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined not less than twenty-five dollars nor more than fifty dollars. Provided, however, this shall not apply to motor vehicles commonly called "pickup trucks".</div>
Old 01-21-2008, 11:30 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Seriously Z...

I have white lights visible from 500 feet on the front of my car.. they're marker lights. They comply with the laws.

The blue lights are not SIGNAL lights and they do not fall under SIGNAL lights laws. We can have blue neon lights under the vehicles here in this state legally. I do not, because I do not like the look of neons. I have thought about it to get into glow off competitions though because they're like $50 shipped from e-bay.

As for the racing/speeding law, I was going 30 MPH in a 35. I wasn't even going the speed limit. The guy gave me that ticket to be an asshole.

My car is lowered 1.2" not 6. Again, perfectly legal.

I'm telling you for a fact that those laws do not apply to my headlights and the only one that could cause problems would be the "approved by Department of Public Safety" and HIDs are aproved, but I was not able to find color temperature laws.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:48 PM

I missed the 6 inch part there, sorry about that.

No one said anything about your marker lights. We are talking about your HID's, which are SMURF BLUE. The only vehicle, by these codes, allowed to have that, are law enforcement or emergency vehicles. Yours is neither. The law plainly states that ANY blue light to the front, is illegal, if you are not one of the exceptions. ANY vehicle, showing ANY blue light. It's in the signal light section because that's what they are used for. Law Enforcement Signal Lights. Your car could be mistaken for one, since it has illegal headlights facing to the front.

As for "Color Temperature" laws, you'll never see one. Blue is blue. Yours are blue.

HID's themselves are legal, but yours aren't, because of the color.

Which is blue.

You can't win this argument DTN, the laws are right there, in black white and red.

I'll show you in blue so you understand. cool.gif

<span style="color:#0000FF"><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or display on any vehicle any blue light that is visible from outside the vehicle except one used primarily for law enforcement purposes.</span></span>

Again, that's ANY vehicle. ANY blue light. These are restricted to law enforcement vehicles for signals.

THis same law is here in NM, and folks b**** about it, but it's still there. Been there for some time. Same one in Kansas, and in California.

This is how they fall under the SIGNAL light laws. The ONLY blue light that can be seen from the FRONT is for signal lights on Law Enforcement vehicles. Your vehicle is not law enforcement. Neons don't face to the front. If someone had NEONS or LED's facing to the front with blue, then yes, they would be illegal.

So yes, your BLUE HID's are illegal under the signal light law, because this law states as it says above, that no vechicles will have ANY blue to the front. Other than the ones that can. Which yours is not.

As for the other ticket, I agree, he probably was being an asshole, I was just showing you the only thing I could find that could be under SC law. Now, your county, city, whatever, could be different, but I'm not going to look up those to verify for you. If you look them up, I can translate them for ya in blue if you want brotha.

nana.gif

Also, the same laws tell you that lights to the front have to be white or amber, so red tinted HID's are illegal too, as RED is only to be facing the rear. That's in those laws too.

Anyone else reading this shit differently?
Old 01-21-2008, 04:04 PM

Hate to say it, but redz is absolutely right here DTN, you can argue it all you want but technically your HID's are illegal.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:17 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Charger

i asked around and showed those laws to jeff and a couple other mps/civillian dod employees and they agree. Z is correct on this one no matter how you look at it. the HIDs dont fall under signal law, but they definately are <span style="color:#0000FF">BLUE</span> which makes them <span style="color:#0000FF">illegal</span>
Old 01-21-2008, 06:23 PM
DTN

Ok, if you are right and my headlamps fall under the signal lamp law, then why do cops ask me if it's <span style="color:#000080">tinted</span> blue, and when I say no, then they say "ok, because that would be illegal"?

I've been pulled over for them twice with no mention of that, and I called the police/sherif/highway patrol offices and they said nothing about it. All they've said was "modification to the headlamp" and ask if it was tinted or not.

The only problems I've had were misinformed MPs. The civilian cops have no problem with my headlights. In fact I've got compliments on them before from civilian cops.

Don't get me wrong, I purchased a set of 8,000K from Jay-M just in case I go to Georgia for the NOPI nationals which actually has a law against blue headlights. I've tested them and keep them in the trunk of my car ready for swapping at any time in case I'm wrong.

I'm absoloutely sure I'm not wrong. I've contacted the authorities who would pull me over for it and asked them over the phone and in person. They all refer to the modification of the headlamp assembly and ask if it's tinted or not.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:31 PM

They ask that because they know more about TINTING laws than anything else obviously. Not all cops know every part of every law, they pull over what they know, and what they are interested in.

It's like your section Sergeant looking at stuff during an inspection that no other section Sergeant you ever had did before.

You calling around to all the offices to bug them, and then your attitude to the cops when they do pull you over, can easily get you in trouble. Just remove all doubt, take out the blue HID's, and sell them. Talk nice to the cops, antagonize them as LITTLE as possible, and they won't have another unit setup to pull you over when they are done next time.

I knew a TON of MP's on Fort Riley, and they told me stories about that all the time.

My tint is 10% darker than it should be for NM, but, I don't do anything wrong, and am respectful and short with the officers when I get pulled over, so I get no tickets.

YOU may be absolutely sure you aren't wrong Adam, but everyone else KNOWS you are. We showed you how you are wrong, the cops may be oblivous to it there, but not everywhere. Save yourself a headache, remove the blue bulbs.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 PM
DTN

^^ Not just no, but HELL no. After the work I had to put into them to keep them and get the entire Fort Jackson MP staff to be on the same sheet of music, HELL NO. I'm good thank you. The MPs know not to pull me over and if they do, then their shift supervisors know better. The local law enforcement will not pull me over either.

But like I said, If they do, I've got backups.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:26 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Charger

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Jan 21 2008, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Ok, if you are right and my headlamps fall under the signal lamp law, then why do cops ask me if it's <span style="color:#000080">tinted</span> blue, and when I say no, then they say "ok, because that would be illegal"?</div>

im not sure if your referring to what i posted or what Z posted, but to clarify, if you are talking about what i posted then go back and slow down. reREAD what i posted and youll notice i said they <span style="color:#0000FF">DONT</span> fall under the signal lamp law. im saying they are <span style="color:#0000FF">BLUE</span> and according to the law <span style="color:#0000FF">ILLEGAL</span>....

Like posted above, just bite the bullet and accept that it is illegal. Your lucky youve gotten out of the tickets so far...

If i were you i wouldnt change bulbs either even if they were illegal but one of those days you wont get out of one of those tickets..