Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Yet another captive rotor question

Old 05-02-2003, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another captive rotor question

Hi,

I noticed you mentioned that Konig Heliums were good and cheap lightweight rims. Will these fit a 1998 Tiburon? (I probably have captive rotors huh?)

If not, do I have any other options besides for doing a conversion or using spacers? I read somewhere about people actually drilling holes in their rims (ick) so the bolts would fit. Would you recommend that?

Also, since so many people ask you or anyone if rim a will fit car b, is there anyway to tell besides for doing a bunch of research if the rims will fit your car? I know most people probably don't have captive rotors and it's as easy as finding the bolt pattern and offset, but it would help out the people with captive rotors a lot. I myself have looked just about everywhere on the net to see if these rims will fit and I can't find JACK SQUAT. It would be nice if manufacturers would list this fact.

Thanks!

Tom

[ May 02, 2003, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 05-02-2003, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

In general 8 lug wheels will not work with captive rotors. There are a few that will, but not many. For $80 to $100, you can get the non captive assemblies from a junkyard complete with bearings (front only needed) then a new set of rotors and you can have nearly any 4x114.3 wheel.

The process is just like this
http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/tech/diy...1/001/index.php
Minus changing out the caliper. There is no difference in calipers, only the hub assembly.

It's a semi-cheap fix, to allow you to with the wheels you want.

I DO NOT reccomend spacers or machining aftermarket wheels to accomodate the captive rotors.

To find the list of wheels that will fit your car use www.tirerack.com. The list is very short. Not many wheels will work with the captive rotors.