Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Winter tires

Old 10-23-2015, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Elantra
Default Winter tires

Thinking I better get some winter tires on the car before we get hit with an unexpected storm and I'll be stuck with the summer wheels and tires on. My all seasons that came with the car are bald so they're not good. I'll be using the stock wheels though since my Konig's are coming off. I have brought it down to 3 choices and need some help deciding

Bridgestone Blizzak -- $89/tire

Continental ExtremeWinterContact -- $91/tire

Dunlop Winter Maxx -- $93/tire

They're all pretty close in price. So that wont be a factor in my decision. My decision will be based on how well the car can get through the snow when we get really bad storms and low temperatures.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

I'll start off by saying I've only used the Continental ExtrememWinterContacts, so I can't weight in on the others, I've heard a lot of people like the Blizzaks, and I have 195/60/15. I've driven through snow drifts in my driveway that were up to the headlights on my RD2 (stock suspension.) While I doubt I could have stopped and kept going the tires never cease to amaze me. So I just might have been able to stop and then start moving again.

Last winter I was next to an HHR that couldn't make it up a small hill because ice/snow on the ground, they were sitting there trying to move through 2 cycles of the lights that I saw, when I got to the spot right next to them and the light turned green my car moved without hesitation, just grabbed and went.

Only once have I gotten stuck in my Tiburon in the snow, and that's because I was stupid. I was trying to make it to work and drove through a drift that lifted the Tib up to the point the tires were no longer in contact with the ground, I could fit my hand between the tire and ground. So clearly not the tires fault lol, just the lack of weight in the tiburon and probably driver error, going too fast. Neighbor came out with his tractor and helped me dig the snow out from under and he plowed the rest of the snow drift.

They handle great, when I had all seasons the first 2 years of owning my Tib I would have trouble taking off at intersections, and trouble stopping (in the snow). With these tires taking off is a breeze, I'll never use all seasons on my car in the winter again.

and because I like whoring pictures

Old 10-23-2015, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I use the same tires all year round.