Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Winter tire shopping, yup its that time of the year again

Old 09-13-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Tiburon FX
Default Winter tire shopping, yup its that time of the year again

So last year I just used my stock rims with regular all seasons and kept my 17's stored in my parents basement. I'll be doing the same again this year except I want to get a set of good snow tires for the stockers. What are some good ones to get that wont put a giant hole in my wallet? Also, should I get 4 snow tires or will it be ok if I get just 2 for the front and keep the all seasons on the rear?

And to all of you who dont get snow... suck it! finger2.gif
Old 09-13-2010, 11:41 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

if you can run studded do it

2 snow tires is good, 4 is better (keeps the rear from sliding during a turn)

general altimax arctic is a great cheap snow tire
Old 09-16-2010, 07:23 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Not just snow tires but good all around tires that I will be getting is the Continetal Extreme Contact DWS (Dry wet snow) getting great reviews on tire rack and by tire rack. I like the idea that if I get lazy come spring I don't have to change them right away but they are great for anything your Tib would be going out in legally in the snow. I think tirerack even showed them doing better then some of the lower performance snow tires. But if you are looking for snow tires I would shop around craigslist and seeif you can score a good quality used set with good tread compared to a cheap new set.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (Tiburon-FX @ Sep 13 2010, 01:34 PM)
So last year I just used my stock rims with regular all seasons and kept my 17's stored in my parents basement. I'll be doing the same again this year except I want to get a set of good snow tires for the stockers. What are some good ones to get that wont put a giant hole in my wallet? Also, should I get 4 snow tires or will it be ok if I get just 2 for the front and keep the all seasons on the rear?

And to all of you who dont get snow... suck it! finger2.gif

First of all, if you go with snow tires, go for winter tires all around....just 2 in the front is RETARDED and DANGEROUS. Google that and you'll find out that you have better handling with 4 all seasons tires than a mix of snow tires in front and all seasons in the back. Basically, you'll have better traction in straight line, but in the curves the rear will lose traction very easily.

I dont know how much snow you get down there in NJ but here in Quebec we're obligated by law to put on snow tires beetween december and march! As said sooner, General Altimax are good tires, you may also check the Gislaved Norfrost 5 (almost same tire, just different branding). Dunlop Graspic are also good tires that fit small budgets!

Personnally, my budget is very low and i need new tires so i'll just get some used ones, you can get a set that has been used for one or 2 winters for like 200$

Hope this helps!