Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Widest wheels on Tibs

Old 05-09-2001, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ::[aeliux]:::
I'm in the market for some wheels and I'm wondering what's the widest wheels/tires I can get without looking like a lowrider? I'm thinking 17's.

To give you a feel for how things will look...here's a few pictures of my Tib. I have on 17x7 rims and 205/45 tires. I was looking for the same thing...larger and lighter wheels without having rim disappear up into the wheel well. I think I got a pretty good balance.

Old 05-09-2001, 01:50 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm starting to understand this stuff much better. Ok, how about this... supposing you could find this wheel. 17x8 with like a +30 or +35 offset. Would that work or still be to far in the wells to where it would rub? Like you could find that with 114.3 lugs anyhow.

[ May 09, 2001: Message edited by: ::[aeliux]:: ]
Old 05-09-2001, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I don't think I've ever SEEN a 17x8 wheel. You would be looking at 225 or 235 tire with that rim, and that would be DAMN wide for our cars.

I would go with a +30 offset, but I can pretty much guarantee you would have to roll the outside of the fenders to fit wheels/tires that wide with a drop.

You MIGHT be able to just stick the wheels on with a stock suspension, but you would probably still rub on the big bumps.
Old 05-09-2001, 12:22 PM

Hey...I don't have a pic of my Tib done yet but I got some phatty ass rims that look really tight on it...Konig Rated R's. Get some 17's and throw about a 2 inch drop on it, it'll give your Tib a distinct look and it'll improve your handling a lot. By the way the Eibach Springs are the way to go if you wanna drop your Tib.
Old 05-09-2001, 03:18 PM

Hey Iago, are those Konig Reigns on your car?

Those are *exactly* what I was thinking of putting on my Tib. Did you run into any problems getting those on your car?
Old 05-10-2001, 12:06 AM

Sylvyr -

Good eye...yes they are Reigns. It's a great setup, and I'm VERY pleased with what I got for the price. I went with the 17x7s because I had been given advice that anything wider would rub when I cranked the steering wheel all the way. I have my stock springs on, and I haven't had any problems at all with rubbing.

There were no problems getting or installing the rims. It took a few days for the Discount outlet I went to to get them from the warehouse, but they seem pretty readily available now. If you want any more info, feel free to hit me up!
Old 05-10-2001, 12:41 AM

Ooh!
smile.gif
What kind of price did you get on the wheels?
I've found them for $125ea and I'm having my tint guy check to see what kind of price he can get them for. (may find out today)
Btw, what kind of tires do you have on there? (Nitto tires were recommended to me)
Old 05-10-2001, 08:56 AM

No way...Nittos will wear down too quickly. I got Kumho's from Discount Tire for about 80 bucks a piece and they are workin great. I got 17 by 7 konig rated r's and they do the job. Nittos you pay way too much for a crappy ass tire.
Old 05-10-2001, 02:35 PM

Nevermind the price check Iago, I found out today, that the company whose website I found the Reigns on for $125 is the only company that carries them!

www.discounttiredirect.com bought all of the Reigns from Konig! (Which explains why the Reigns aren't on the Konig website and also not shown in the Konig catalog. They are a DicountTireDirect exclusive.

I went to my friendly neighborhood rim shop today and we couldn't find the Reigns in the Konig catalog, so they called Konig and were told the ^above^ by the Konig rep.

The rim shop wants approx $680 for the wheels (they have to buy from DTD) + lugs/locks/stems)...with Faulkens mounted = $1359 (I'm sure with tax is even more)

DiscountTireDirect Konigs + Nittos + install kit (lug/locks/stems) + shipping = $1030.80 (tax not included, need to add mounting/balancing cost)

Looks like I'll be ordering my wheels and tires online ;P

[ May 10, 2001: Message edited by: Sylvyr ]
Old 05-10-2001, 04:44 PM

Interesting to know about the Reigns!

You're getting about the same deal I did...$125 per rim, $110 per tire. The above post is the first bad thing I've heard about Nitto 450 tires. I did a lot of research into several different tire companies, and these seem to be a good deal and good quality. Treadwear is rated @ 300, and several people I talked to said I'd get a good 20,000 - 30,000 miles out of them, unless I'm really hard on them. That's about as much as what the stock Michelin's made it to (28,000), so we'll see what happens.

As for quality, I haven't noticed any problems at all. They hold great...I've pushed to taking cloverleaf-tightness banked turns to around 80mph before they started to complain, so I'm pleased. (If there's anything that Dallas civil enginners know how to do, it's make a FUN highway system!)

Anyway...it's late, and I'm rambling. I guess the best advice is do your research, talk to as many people as you can find that have the tires you're considering, and see what sounds best to you.