Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Wheel Shaking While Accelerating?

Old 12-05-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF its only when you accelerate and at fairly higher speeds 40mph+ check the axels...when the inner cv gives or gets loose you can get the vibration through the wheel...almost like warped rotors...but only when accelerating.

you can get used/rebuilt axels for pretty cheap.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:48 PM

QUOTE (only1db @ Dec 5 2008, 02:36 PM)
IF its only when you accelerate and at fairly higher speeds 40mph+ check the axels...when the inner cv gives or gets loose you can get the vibration through the wheel...almost like warped rotors...but only when accelerating.

you can get used/rebuilt axels for pretty cheap.

The symptoms you stated above is exactly what's happening.

All of the advice so far has been great - loose nuts, tire pressure, wheel bearing etc.. I will know more when I take the wheels off tomorrow and have the balance checked. This will rule out balancing, bad wheel/tire, loose nuts, and other culprits. I will post an update on this tomorrow.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

if you apply slight pressure to the brakes, does it change? Like traveling at 70mph, then press on the brakes so you slowly decrease to 60mph... while the brakes are pressed, does it go away?
Old 12-05-2008, 02:57 PM

QUOTE (majikTib @ Dec 5 2008, 04:48 PM)
if you apply slight pressure to the brakes, does it change? Like traveling at 70mph, then press on the brakes so you slowly decrease to 60mph... while the brakes are pressed, does it go away?

I haven't tried pressing the brakes yet. You don't have to be going very fast for it to do it. Any quick burst of acceleration will do it, for example from 0 - 45 mph.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I'm wondering if the wheels aren't sitting flush against the hub for some reason.

Factory Hyundai wheels or aftermarket? Spacers installed?
It has a 4 lug pattern, right? I just want to make sure nobody tried an unsuccessful 5-lug swap
Old 12-06-2008, 11:03 AM

defiently sounds like the axels.

it was any other rotating mass...it would be all the time....

the inner cv joins really only have torque applied when you accelerate, hence the shake when you press on the gas and goes away when you let go.

my driverside axel did this to me...i thought it was balance and all that...but nope.

if you do have you wheels balanced....make sure they get roadforced!! its really the only way to tell if the wheel is out of round or any other defect in the rotating assemlby.

roadforce info....road force balancing
Old 12-06-2008, 01:40 PM

QUOTE (only1db @ Dec 6 2008, 02:03 PM)
defiently sounds like the axels.

it was any other rotating mass...it would be all the time....

the inner cv joins really only have torque applied when you accelerate, hence the shake when you press on the gas and goes away when you let go.

my driverside axel did this to me...i thought it was balance and all that...but nope.

My update:
lug nuts - check them all, all tight
tire - worn out - but still smooth while cruising
balancing - not yet, don't want to balance worn out tires (plan to replace with next pay check)
rims - no apparent curb rash
axles - I was able to slightle move the driver side axle back and forth, is this normal !??

still yet to try:
alignment
check wheel bearings
motor mounts (I can hear engine clunk when starting/stoping motion but yet to locate culprit)
Old 12-07-2008, 12:15 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

It's normal to have about 1/2MM of play in the driveshaft.

What I'd check if I were you is the hub centric rings. Aftermarket wheels require them. I had alot of problems with vibration on a perfectly balanced new rim until I realized it needed hub centric rings to center it on the wheel.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:58 AM

if its something new...then its not the hubcentrics

i would find out which axel it is and replace.

the passengerside axel has a damper on it...a round piece of rubber that cancels out vibration...if that has moved or is not there anymore that TOO will cause the condition.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:20 AM

QUOTE (DTN @ Dec 7 2008, 03:15 PM)
It's normal to have about 1/2MM of play in the driveshaft.

What I'd check if I were you is the hub centric rings. Aftermarket wheels require them. I had alot of problems with vibration on a perfectly balanced new rim until I realized it needed hub centric rings to center it on the wheel.

Thanks, but they're factory rims so I don't think that would apply.