Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Wheel Hop

Old 12-28-2011, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Tiburon GT
Default Wheel Hop

Does having excessive wheel hop (light rims, sloppy or stock suspension, power adders, etc) cause more wear and tear on a car than being able to keep it under control?
Old 12-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I'm sure it does. I doubt it's a HUGE issue but that extra shaking can get pretty violent.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:34 PM

Vehicle: 2010 2.0T GC R-Spec

I thought motor mounts were the biggest culprit in wheel hop in FWD? Replace your motor mounts with urethane mounts and get a torque dampener (if they're availiable). The wheel hop will go bye-bye. But, I;m gonna go ahead and say yes. Wheel hop causes more stress on the car than controlling it. Think about your poor drivetrain, being jerked around between moments of full traction and less traction. Those poor axles... Likelihood of actually breaking something, is probably pretty low though.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:00 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Wheel hop is pretty bad, imagine the stress that goes through all your bearings and studs etc each time that your wheels slam on the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHGQ6mR7q_o
Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Stock axles are used with well over double (even triple) stock horsepower and the stuff that breaks at that power level is in the engine.

That said, all it takes is one good high speed spinning wheel to suddenly catch traction and something can break in a big hurry.