Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Wheel Bearing Torque?

Old 04-06-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the torque on a rear wheel bearing for a 2000 tiburon? also i wasn't given a new cotter pin, is it all right to use the old (seeing that I don't have a new one handy.)
Old 04-06-2007, 01:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

yes old cotter pin is fine. as for the other question im not sure
Old 04-06-2007, 01:17 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

are you talking about the big nut on the spindle, 260 Nm/188 ft lbs.

or checking the hub bearing starting torque, limited to 1.3 Nm/12 ft lbs. If starting torque is zero, check the hub bearing axial play while nut on spindle is tightened. Hub axial play limitations; 0.008mm 0.0003in. If under or over (most commonly over), then the hub & knuckle need to be re-installed.

and go ahead and re-use your snap ring.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:37 AM

thanks patreezy and ericy321.
Hey apparently the castlehead nut for removal of the hub is not a 24mm like a read from another post. So... i don't have any tools to get it off. Its the size of 1.25" or 34mm. The problem is that it is recessed and I can't get a monkey wrench (or anything for that matter) over it to get it to grasp. Is there a certain tool I need to use that I could purchase to remove AND to torque it back on? I went to lowes to look up parts and they were worthless....

If a pic is needed there is a link to a wheel hub pic here..
http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=21589

okely dokeylio I'm an IDIOT.. Apparently lowes does not have sockets bigger then 30mm. autozone does.. and they rent them out basically for free (if you return them.) awesome... so awesome. sorry for all the reposts..
Old 04-08-2007, 10:04 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon SE

just took them off a few weeks ago,

i believe there 32mm

i just took my socket from my impact and just put it on a breaker bar, had someone hold the brakes and i had it parallel with the ground and litterly had to jump on it before it went free

and to put it on i just put the socket on a torque bar (forget the name) and just torqued it down to 220 or whatever it was
Old 04-08-2007, 11:54 AM

I did both my rear bearings a few weekends ago, i was thinking about torquing the castle nut but all i had was a small wrench that went to 100ftlbs. I just set the compressor at 130psi and yeah came off like a bat out of hell, flew across the shop and hit my buddy. Put it back on the same way, no problems here. I took the hub of with an air hammer sticking through one of the dust sheild holes, which i think i might have damage the spindle a bit. I was in a hurry so don't follow my actions.