Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

What is considered to be a light weight tire?

Old 09-24-2002, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is considered to be a light weight tire?

I found that the Kumho 711 are only 18lbs and the 712 are 20lbs. Considering my rims weigh 19lbs already, is there something lighter out there I can use?

I forgot to mention, I have 15x7 rims

so I am looking at 205/50/15

[ September 25, 2002, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: HE-MAN ]
Old 09-25-2002, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your kumhnos are 17-20 lbs EACH!!??! My rim/tire combo weigh exactly 33 lbs. on a 205/40/R17 size.
My tire is Hankook Ventus HRII (IMO, much better than the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's i had before), and my rim is a 17" Nakayama Racing GT V.

My rolling stock setup before this one still came out @ 33 lbs. rim and tire. I 17" White Axis Touring Cups with the Kumhos mentioned earlier. Same size, everything.

I do like my Hankooks and my Nakayamas better though...

Anyway, getting back on topic (sorry got carried away), if you want to stay light wieght, you may not want to travel into 17" territory. I believe there are a few out there that make some "light" or should i say "lighter" 17" rims...ALT Racing comes to mind but i know there are more Manufacturers. The 16" ALT Racing "Lite Speed" rim is pretty light wieghing in @ 14 or 13 lbs i think. It's a 5 spoke design and looks anorexic as far as rims are concerened. Decently priced it may remind you of what stock '97-'99 Mitsu Eclipse GS/GS-T/GS-X rims looked like. I'm sure you're not going to be interested in the Magneseum Alloy spec rims. Those are light as #@$! but i remember hearing they catch on fire if your rim comes in contact with the ground!!! You def. don't want a blow out then!!

[ September 25, 2002, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Koreandude ]