Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Warped rotors

Old 09-04-2004, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2K Tib
Default Re: Free Cam Sprocket Mod !

I keep hearing about how easy it is to warp the OEM/factory installed rotors on the Tiburon. I havn't had any problems with mine despite severe use. I spent a day lapping down at Portland Intl Raceway...I had a brand new, properly bedded set of pads on the car. Brake temps after returning to the pits were 480* F...so they were higher on the track. I cooked all the resin out of those new pads that day, they were like packed chalk when I took them off the car. But no warped rotor. Nor at any other track day I've attended.

Am I lucky? Did I get a good set from the factory? Can someone who had thier rotors warp tell me how it happened? Do you drive in the moutains? Over heat them during racing?
Old 09-04-2004, 09:15 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: 1st gen body kits :)

You are lucky.

That's it.

LOL

Did you get your car used?
Old 09-04-2004, 09:16 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Re: Warped rotors

OEM warp easily when they have a lot of pressure put on them. if you brake lightly, smoothly, and steadily then they can be the best pads ever. but if you catch yourself off guard and braking heavily frequently (like we do in f*** Maryland) than you're outta luck.

it really depends on how many times you use your brakes every day. here in MD we have a traffic light every 10 seconds down the road. it's not spread out or anything, there's just intersections every friggin where you damn choose to go. so no matter what, there's no beating the light, only beating your brakes :x

glad to hear your rotors are doing great!
Old 09-04-2004, 09:33 AM

Vehicle: 2K Tib
Default Re: Free Cam Sprocket Mod !

I bought the car new in Dec 99. The only problem I have had was with the stereo (fixed under recall) and the seatbelt thing (fixed under recall). All the other stuff I hear about, bad paint, rotors, wheel bearings, etc....I havn't had anything. So I guess I got a "good" car.

But my rotors are starting to wear...but I will only have the car for another year or so and they won't wear out before then.