Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Uhaul Ruins Tibs Rear Struts

Old 01-03-2006, 12:58 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I pretty much ruined my rear struts with a improperly packed uhaul. Any suggestions as to a good quality cheap replacement/upgrade cartridge?
Old 01-03-2006, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

kyb gr2 struts

get them from summit racing they have them for like 45 each plus 8 bux for shipping
Old 01-03-2006, 01:09 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Yea theyre good I have them from ebay. Do you have a hitch on ure tib?
Old 01-03-2006, 01:27 PM

I never knew people pulled trailers with their tibs. shocked1.gif

Do you have a full-sized 2" hitch? I've been thinking about buying a 1 1/4" hitch in order to run a hitch bike rack. I'm tired of the time it takes to install and remove my Yakima roof rack, which definitely is not good for the areas it clamps onto.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:52 PM
DTN

I was messing around with my tib when i took this pic. but that trailer is attached to my hitch

[attachment=183:attachment]

I got a hitch worthy of pulling the 5x8 uhaul. It's 1 1/4" receiver. It mounts to the bottom of the spare tire well with some steel reenforcement shims. The setup cost $350 and 3 hours of install. It required alot of thinking and planning as the directions were poor. I needed a drill, sockets, screw driver and wire taps to complete the job.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:46 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

hahaha yep yep yep.. When I had my car crammed with all my stuff, at the end, my rear shocks were leaking. I mean my car was soooo crammed that i could barely fit in the driver seat. I even had my gym equipment in there.

QUOTE (fonseca @ Jan 3 2006, 08:27 PM)
I never knew people pulled trailers with their tibs. shocked1.gif

Do you have a full-sized 2" hitch? I've been thinking about buying a 1 1/4" hitch in order to run a hitch bike rack. I'm tired of the time it takes to install and remove my Yakima roof rack, which definitely is not good for the areas it clamps onto.

Why not buy the ones that come out of the trunk?
Old 01-07-2006, 10:00 PM
DTN

They're not selling them anymore. Anyone got some better sites i can find some cheap shocks? still searching. best price is $60 / 1 shock + 12 shipping
Old 01-07-2006, 11:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I got Gabriel G-Force struts from Autozone. I am really happy with them. The biggest perk is they have a LIFETIME warranty! AND...I got one free with a mail in rebate! Not sure how they compare to KYB, but I can tell you they are pretty stiff but still ride quite nice. Just what I was looking for in a strut.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:52 PM

My brother just bought a 1 1/4" hitch from etrailer.com to go with his new hitch rack on his '97 tib. Hopefully his won't be as hard to install as yours was, DrivingTibNaked. It's not a "real" hitch rated for towing. You should have posted a DIY. wink1.gif I bet there isn't one on any site for a Tib.

$60 a shock is pretty cheap if you ask me. I think if you want them cheaper you'd have to get a set of four.

QUOTE (korean_redneck @ Jan 8 2006, 03:46 AM)
Why not buy the ones that come out of the trunk?

They suck.

1. Scratches your paint pretty badly where it contacts, and can eventually create small dents.
2. Many designs won't let you open the hatch without partial removal.
3. Your bike will scratch your paint to hell unless you wrap pedals, brakes, fork and parts of the frame in cloth. talk about a hassle.
4. If you have to carry two bikes, because of the angle they lay against each other and scratch up paint and components.
5. Anyone can steal it and your bike in a matter of seconds.
6. Many models wobble and shake at highway speeds, and bounce when you hit bumps.

The only benefit is that they are cheap for low-end ones. But the good ones are still over $100, so a hitch or roofrack is the way to go. I have used a Yakima roofrack for close to a decade on three cars. Very versatile. I also own a Yakima Spacebooster, which is a slim cargo box for the roof. Great for camping and ski trips, and why I can get away with a small car like the Tib, since I can more than double my trunk space in a matter of minutes.

But the lack of raingutters on the tib means you clamp the rack to some trim, which will damage it over time. And I notice a huge mpg hit with just the rack on, moreso with two bikes. On my last car it was only a 5mpg drop, but it's over 10mpg highway with the Tib. That's the main reason I want to move to a hitch, it should pay for itself eventually. It will also have the benefit of not ending up with a bike coated in insect guts during the Summer, and won't advertize bikes I'm carrying quite as blatantly. And you can buy a hitch rack that can lock to both your hitch and the bikes, unlike the trunk mount type.

If you read reviews at MTBR.com, almost everyone who buys a trunk mount rack moves to roof or hitch pretty quickly.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:03 AM
DTN

fonseca: No pix, no DIY. The main thing is just to make sure it's center on the vehical, not tire well. Line it up, drill holes, put in bolts, wire up wires, test and clean up. you're going to have to pull out the center portion of the hatch molding,carpet and wall. The sides will remain you can work around from there.

60 is high for a shock when faithofadragon was talking about 45/shock and only 8 bucks for s&h. Still would like suggestions.