Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Tread Measurement... Penny vs. Actual Gauge

Old 10-25-2011, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 00 tiburon
Default Tread Measurement... Penny vs. Actual Gauge

Hi,

I normally just use a penny to measure my tread (thanks to my dad for telling me that trick) but when I used a penny to measure two michelins they were covering a small portion of lincolns head for around (2-3/32) but the tread gauge at the mechanics read 6/32.

The tire guy said michelins can't be measured with the penny cause of the grooves..

Anybody heard of this?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Drag slicks can't be measured with a penny because of the lack of grooves. Specify a tread pattern or your question is incomplete.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0 G4GF-EG

use 1€ coins half of the outermost ring (3mm) approximately corresponds with minimum tread requirement over here (1.6 mm). Minimum tread recommended by the manufacturer is also indicated on the tire itself by wear bars.

You need to check inside and ouside of the tire for uneven wear. Use a new coin.

If those were normal michelin tires for street use (slicks are illegal over here) your tire guy was wrong.