Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

transmission problem

Old 09-14-2004, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Tibron
Default Re: random pics worth posting

i took my car by a mechanic today and told him my car was making a little bit of a noize when i'm in gear and taking off, and that i care about my baby very much what could it be? he said give me a ride in it, i said ok first off he said you got a faulty axle shaft. anyone ever had this problem?
Old 09-15-2004, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Ebay (again)

bad CV joint maybe? You get a clickclickclickclick sound.. especially when accelerating and turning in one direction and not the other?
Old 09-15-2004, 06:17 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL
Default Re: 2004 ABQ BBQ - Who's Coming? (ABQ = Albuquerque New Mexi

That's what I'm thinking, if it makes noise only when you take off it might not be, but I'm not sure. Go drive around a spot with a bunch of stop signs and keep making left and right turns at different speeds. If it's a bad CV joint then it'll sound like crackling or a light grinding. If there is no noise then I dunno :?
Old 09-15-2004, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Ebay (again)

I noticed a similar problem. It only happens every once and a while. When I am driving somewhat hard (late to school) I get a little bit of a vibration at slow speeds and it almost sounds like a flat. It goes away when I go faster. I have yet to get under the car and take a look. I am interested if this is the same problem and covered under my power train warranty. Its tough though... it doesn’t happen all the time.

I was also thinking that this might be the brake/rotor... but when it went away I figured that was'nt it.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Wheel Spacer?

had the guy hoist it up and take a closer look at it wasn't the axle at all it was worse it was in the transmition i could even hear it, so we checked the fluid not a damn drop. i pay the place i get my oil changed to check every damn fuild in it and it doesn't leak, so that sucks hard. we filled it up and i still hear the noize, i hope it hasn't messed somethign up terribly bad.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:36 PM

Default Re: faulty axle problem

Wow no tranny fluid. That would basicly be making the gears and such smash into each other with no cushin. It would be no different than not using oil in your engine.......
Old 09-18-2004, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Which size Optima battery?

ouch man.. somebody was not doing their job... got any receipts from that place that does your oil changes documenting them checking all the fluids in your car? If you do, you might have a case.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:14 PM

Default Re: BBTB

now i am not too smart when it comes to cars, but that sound is still there what all is there in a transmittion? that can break, and what type of a cost am i looking at? btw i think i am going to change the name of this topic now that i know what it is
Old 09-20-2004, 05:58 AM

Default Re: GB Requests

if anything, a manual tranny can be just as complicated if not more so than the engine. Not only could you have cooked the gears and shorn off teeth (or just worn them badly from the lack of lubricant) but there are a LOT of bearings and carriers in there.. not to mention the Syncros.

Then you get to the other part of the equation in a transaxle, the diff...that just has a couple of gears that do some serious work at putting all that power to the wheels.

best estimate.. 1000 to 1200 to R&R.. but this might also include the clutch.. which you might as well do while the transmission is out.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:49 AM

Default Re: boosting a MAP based car

QUOTE (Raven997)
i pay the place i get my oil changed to check every damn fuild in it and it doesn't leak, so that sucks hard. .

you cant check the fluid level in a manual tranny so the place probably didnt check it at all. anyways if anything is wrong with the tranny its just cheapest to swap the tranny yourself. its time to start working on your own car rather than paying someone $60 an hour to fix it for you.