Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Tirewall Cracked!

Old 07-31-2005, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

OK... so I get a flat tire on my $120/piece X4 BRAND SPANKIN' NEW Kumho MX's. Those tires are so strong nothing looked like it could pierce it! Reminded me of tank wheels. I thought I was getting what I paid for when buying them... Apparently not.
^ Brand New and 2 months into it pssssssssss!

I bought a flat tire repair spray can and it stopped what I thought was a puncture, for 5000 miles. It became flat again after that 5000 miles and so I took the rim off and inspected the tire. On the inside of the Kumho, the entire tirewall was cracked open! No, nobody slashed my tires because it was on the inside of the tire all around the tirewall and it looks like the tire was stretched open like some surgery all around the tirewall.

I'm not a fast driver nor have I done anything crazy with the Kumho MX's before. If that tire just tore open like that, I've done some crazy sh*t with 195/55/15 cheap stock tires and have definitely proven to be better than these Kumhos. If Kumho MX's can't last one month with easy driving, and some cheap stockers can last through crazy driving, I'm really beggining to wonder about the quality of Kumhos. I do have a warranty and am getting it replaced for free... however that doesn't solve the mystery.

Now, these are 215/40/17's. And they have been through construction zones. There's a 360ยบ torn open tirewall. I did not overinflate my tires, 30PSI was always the inflation.

Clues?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:31 PM

dang man that sucks. i don't see how a set of tires can do that. i had alot of bad luck with a set of tires one time. nails, screws, anything you can think of. i have two kuhmo tires if you want them. 225 40 17 though. ill send them up to you if you want, or you can come pick them up.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:04 PM

Very possible that you got something behind the wheel and it tore it up. Don't blame kumhos as of yet.

Man, answer god damn PMs! We need to finish out shit.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

30psi is really low for 40 profile tires. they were probably under-inflated. by tirewall do you mean sidewall?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:38 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Jul 31 2005, 09:28 PM)
I bought a flat tire repair spray can and it stopped what I thought was a puncture, for 5000 miles. It became flat again after that 5000 miles

those type of products (fix-a-flat for example) are TEMPORARY fixes until you can get to a shop to properly plug/patch the tire. it says it right on the product.

it is a chemical that can eat away at the tire. the fact that you never properly got it repaired could have definately had something to do with it... please, everyone, if you use something that comes out of a bottle to fix a flat tire... use it temporarily until you can get it properly repaired
Old 07-31-2005, 09:00 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

yes that flat tire repair is temporary stuff. bryce thanks for the offer, i might take you up on that if something goes wrong. i've got another tire replacement for free under the warranty.

tibby01, yes, sidewall. where it has the kumho logo on it. that means that there's nothing that i could have run over. that also means that it could not have rubbed against the mudguard or anything of that sort to have caused it to rip open.

sparticus, maybe that fix-a-flat stuff ate away the tire and it opened up... but the question! i can't find one puncture. how can a tire like that be punctured so easily if it was?

there's no cause to what made the tire flat one month ago.

thanks for the help guys. it really helps me out. my advice is if you're using fix-a-flat, your intensions are to get rid of the tire or something bad can happen.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

im thinking you whit a pothole. your old tires had huge sidewalls, which could absorb a lot of the impact. you might want to look at your wheel too, could have a slight bend just enough to leak air.

and your didnt have enough air in your tires. 30 psi for super low profile tires is not enough.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:32 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

running a flat tire, even for just a moment (ei: exiting at the next off-ramp on the freeway for safety or trying to get to the next gasoline station) will damage the tire, especially the sidewalls... it happened to me a couple of times already sad.gif