Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Tire Leak

Old 06-01-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

guys i have a brand new sumitomo tire with a proble. couple of weeks ago i got a flat. It was a pretty nice size where the side wall and flat meet in the inside. I went to 2 different tire places. First one plug it and it would loose about 5 psi a week. second place attemted to patch it but the slash i too big and patch wont hold. So they stuck like 3 fat plugs and it holds but i looses 5 psi a week. i dont have the money or want to replace a $90 sumitomo tire it only has like 7k miles on it and is perfect i bought these because i had some cheap nankang before that wasted quick as hell even thought car was align and camber align.

The question is this Have you guys used those fix a flat type products. I heard that stuff causes vibration what has being your experience. which of those products works Im thinking is worth a try before trying to buy a new tire. And im tire of putting air every week than the car starts pulling when the tire starts to get flat.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:25 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

I think most fix a flat products are only meant as a temporary solution not a permanent fix. I would just get a new tire, preferably a diff brand haha
Old 06-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you don't care that it makes life miserable for the next guy who changes the tire, it can at least be said that Fix A Flat works for small leaks, and is cheaper than a tire replacement. Worth a try, at least, if your budget doesn't have a new tire in it.

That's why we get road hazard warranties BTW.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:36 PM

i think im going to try that green slime stuff instead. Im not going to remove the plug or anything. I just needed to get pushed out between the plugs so that i seals completly. And about the road hazard i should of done that. stupid me. That is the one case where an extended type warranty is very worth it specially with low pro tires. and im very happy with the sumitomos btw
Old 06-01-2009, 04:48 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

Um... that was a headache to read.

I would suggest not using either and just getting a new tire.

QUOTE (Stocker @ Jun 1 2009, 06:30 PM)
If you don't care that it makes life miserable for the next guy who changes the tire, it can at least be said that Fix A Flat works for small leaks, and is cheaper than a tire replacement. Worth a try, at least, if your budget doesn't have a new tire in it.

That's why we get road hazard warranties BTW.

Completely agree, the fix a flat stuff does not go well on a tire mounter/demounter and I'm not sure about the green slime but I can't imagine that would hold up for more than a couple hundred miles at most.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:57 PM

i wish i could fin a place to do a vulcanizing plug that is how you truly fix large holes instead of plugs or patches
gogle vulcanizing plug youll see
Old 06-01-2009, 06:41 PM

Would it be possible for you to stop and read through your posts before you submit them? It is incredibly frustrating to read posts with excessive spelling errors and little punctuation.

hint: it underlines misspelled words in red.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

We use vulcanizing plugs at my shop and they kick ass. I cant believe nowhere around there does them. Fix a flat and Slime suck from my perspective and I get pissed when someone has used it in a tire Im working on. They usually end up paying a little more for the hassle of cleaning it up and getting it off their rim.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ see?

mannyr, the only problem in your case is the location of the cut. It's a pisser that 1/2" farther into the tread would have made it a $12 fix but that's the way it is. I also wanted to mention that if you don't have some sort of compressor, the fees at gas stations for their air will add up to a new tire pretty quick.

Do get the road hazard warranty next time. Every set of tires I ever had on this car ended up with at least one repaired tire. Then there was the tire with 5 ( ! ) plugs in it . . .
Old 06-02-2009, 06:41 AM

^^^ What?
You guys pay to put air in your tires?
And ya Mannyr that was difficult to read.
I had to skim through it. LOL.

I dont know if its done in the states but in S.A
They also use tubes inside the tire if the wall is penetrated/the hole cannot be plugged.

Anyway tires are what your life depends on.
Wouldnt cheap out on it like that.
It could be dangerous.