Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Tiburon Handeling / Performance

Old 12-05-2001, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiburon Handeling / Performance

To my understanding, 2001 tiburons come with power assisted rack and pinion steering... correct??? ...

well anways... is there anyone out there who supplises a strictly rack and pinion steering assembly/colum... i think the response of the steering wheel isnt as good as it should be.. it should be alot tighter and stiffer... a true rack and pinion system would be beautiful.... im sure the race tiburons ( im not 100% sure what class their in but im sure you guys know what im talking about... the one Mark Craig drives)... im sure those tiburons use a true rack and pinion steering set up... its only common sense right.. there in a racing class..

well does anyone have and feed back to this or know where i can do a swap?
Old 12-06-2001, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I don't know of anyone that offers the parts available for a swap. Only thing I could think of would be to remove the power steering portion of the stock setups.
Old 12-06-2001, 02:38 AM

i dont want swap.. i just want to buy the unit and keep my old stock one in the garage (dont ask why)...

how would i do that anways.. removing the power sterring portion???
would that help ?
Old 12-06-2001, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

You can remove the power steering portion, but I'm still not sure why you would want to.

The power steering helps you turn the wheel at low speeds, or are you really looking to pump up your upper body by removing the Power assist portion?

Just remove the power steering pump, and belt. Remove all power steering hoses/lines, then drain the steering rack of it's fluid. Viola.

You might want to add some clean motor oil back into the steering rack as lubrication, or leave a small ammount of power steering fluid in there to act as lubrication.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:51 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Tiburon GT

Hey Random, I noticed that you said aslong as you have the powersteering fluid in the rack then it will be fine, Tell me if this will work, I want to take out the Pump and take the belt off just for a bit of weighr reduction and to loosen up some hp. I drive a 97 lantra my pump is right up front, there is the resivor, I would take the hose comming from the resivor and to the pump OFF then cutt the metal hose comming FROM the pump this way I could connect the rubber house and the metal piping together this way to keep fluid from not leaking and still have a link to fluid, would this work?

[ December 06, 2001: Message edited by: Alex ]
Old 12-06-2001, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

if you leave the rack full of fluid, you will have to fight the fluid and the weight/momentum/inertia of the car to turn.

You just want enought liquid in the rack to lubricate things.
Old 12-07-2001, 02:32 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Tiburon GT

Ok, so what if I take everything out like you said up there, hoses, pump, bla bla bla, and drain MOST but not ALL the power steering fluid outta the rack, It would work, ok one more question boss, How DO you drain the fuild outta the rack and how much should I leave in there, How can you tell how much is in there? thanks dude. tongue.gif
Old 12-08-2001, 01:43 AM

if you drain all the fluid out it wont work, essentially its quite close to a true rack and pinion steering setup but the lack of fluid will just dry out the steering colum no?

im just looking for a stiffer handeling/ cornering from the car.. i just think its too light.. too sensitive to be a sports car.. you should be able to feel the car... im gonna throw on new springs and dampers to tighten up the cornering but i want the car to feel it more if you know what i mean... i was just figuring turning the car to a true rack and pinion setup would do so.
Old 12-14-2001, 02:06 AM

Andre,
The Motorola Cup cars (Now Grand Am) have to stay street legal, and are allowed only certain modifications...I would bet money that they are not changing the steering system at all on those cars. There are other ways to improve steering response and feel.
Old 12-15-2001, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

I would do the steering modification last.

Do strut tower braces, and under strut brace, front and rear sway bars, then your choice in springs/strut upgrade.

Then, if you are still unhappy, then mess with the steering rack. However, I think after doing all of the above, you'll be very happy with your setup.