Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Sways: does size matter?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon
Thumbs up Sways: does size matter?

I've been looking into some sways and I was wondering what difference the size makes. For instance, are 25mm bars stiffer than 22mm or 20mm bars? Part two of this question has to do with the end-links. Would installing sways without aftermarket end-links be detrimental to the bars and car, or would it not really matter? Obviously going with aftermarket links would be optimal but you know what I'm saying.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:38 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

2-3 mm size up isn't really worth it IMO, but going from a 20-25 would make an awesome cornering improvement. End links really depends on what they're made out of. My 04 Elantra came with a 13mm rear sway and plastic end links. When I upgraded to the 19mm Tib bar, I went with steel end links to be sure they wouldn't snap. The other issue to consider is the tabs on your struts where the end links attach from the sway. When going a lot thicker on the sway, there can be quite a bit more stress put on the strut tabs, which in some cases, has been known to snap them off.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:40 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

It also depends on the bar itself for instance is the bar hollow or solid. (Normally Hollow) and if you go with a super thick bar you may want to weld on some support tabs as bdiggy stated the stock tabs can tend to snap unless you reinforce them of course.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

size does not matter directly. Spring rate does. Most aren't rated that way though. It is possible for a 20mm hollow bar to be much stiffer than a 25mm hollow bar. The only direct comparison is within the same manufacturer or if the full specs of the bars are given.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

You can vary the bar rate a couple of ways but you cannot vary bar size without replacing the bar. If it is a hollow bar you can get away with cutting the bar and adding a threaded rod , and threading the interal area of the bar of course,to vary bar springrate or sometimes you can drill additional holes in the bar to change where it attaches to the links. Both will change the the bar tension. Trick is getting it to where it gives the maximum benefit for your driving style.

Also unless you are not planning on doing any other suspension mods always do the suspension components first then the bar. For instance a stock suspension may love a bigger bar but full coilovers may make you wish you had the stock bar back.