Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

suspension tech for dummies?...that'd be me

Old 10-23-2002, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension tech for dummies?...that'd be me

ok ok, by no way am i a "newbie" in the performance world. but now as my engines performance is about where i want, im focussing on looks and style. my questions:

are coil-overs a complete set-up?

are they the same as getting springs and shocks at the same time?

what is the difference between a damper and a shock

and of all these, wich is the best set-up?(im looking at a type flex system from Tein USA, but its still being tested)

no hurry
thanks alot
nathan king

[ October 24, 2002, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: nking84 ]
Old 10-23-2002, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

There are 2 types of coilovers. "Sleeve" Type, and "Complete" type (or REAL coilovers). Sleeve type coilovers just replace the spring. "real" coilovers replace the spring and Strut/shock. The Quest units that KORE offers are examples of "Complete" coilovers. The Ground Control Units that SR offers are examples of "sleeve" style coilovers.

Complete coilovers would be the same as getting springs and struts at the same time. Sleeve Style Coilovers would be like just replacing the springs (which they do)

There is no difference between a Dampner and a Shock or a Dampner and a strut. Dampner is just a generic term that covers both shocks and struts. Struts do differ from shocks.

When you ask for a "best" setup, that is very subjective. To answer that, I need to know how you plan on using the car, and what you have in mind for the car in the future, and lastly, your driving style (Agressive, normal, conservative).

For example, I am looking for a supension system (Full coilovers), that will allow me to run at the drag strip, every day agressive driving, occassional comfort driving, and also autocross/racetrack use. Needless to say, that means I would need an adjustable coilover setup that would be easily and quickly adjustable. I'm still looking for the perfect setup...*sigh*