Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Suspension Noise

Old 05-12-2008, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently having a issue with a loud thunking noise coming from the passenger side front suspension. I have H&R coilovers and this is the only corner i have a issue with. The noise is only there when you go over a bump, the size of the bump does not matter....a manhole cover will cause the noise. I tried raising the coilovers to there full height thinking i may have been bottoming out but it is still there. Any ideas?
Old 05-12-2008, 05:57 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

I have a similar problem, a random thunk/clunk noise in the front-right suspension. Mine happens much more often when it's wet outside (during and after a rain). I changed all my suspension components except the axles, so that makes me think it's probably the axle. Might be the same issue for you, might not.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:00 PM

Check your tie rods, sway bar links, and CV shaft boots. Stuff like that can cause clunking, I've had to replace all of those things all around.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:57 PM

This may sound weird, but I encountered a problem similar to this on an oldsmobile once. It sounded just like a suspension thud, but I couldn't find anything. Turns out, the engine mount on the front of the engine (that's the passenger's side mount) was bad, and beating against the frame. Damn car ran just fine with no vibrations or excessive engine rocking. Weirdest thing ever.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:15 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

I have the same problem on my Tib. Turns out to be that the exhaust hanger after the the flex pipe broke. BTW it only happens when I turn left. I'm going to get my exhaust done pretty soon, so I don't worry too much. tongue.gif