Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Stripping chrome off rims

Old 09-30-2010, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon
Default Stripping chrome off rims

So I recently bought some rims from a friend that I love (design wise) but the only problem is that they have a chrome finish. I want to remove the chrome and have them powdercoated gunmetal. Does anyone know the proper way to strip the chrome off so the rims dont get ruined? Would i have to have them sandblasted or can would I be able to strip them myself somehow?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

You have to strip the chrome, and bead blast the nickel plating if you're gonna have them powdercoated. Alot of people think they can just powdercoat over the existing chrome. When attempting to powder coat over a chrome plated surface, adhesion properties are not good.

There are some who would convince you that by scuffing the surface you can achieve a profile that will give good adhesion for powder coating, typically this is not the case and you will not be satisfied in the long run. Best case scenario is to strip the chrome off as well as the copper/nickel. The copper acts as a band aid and covers imperfections in the parent metal. So the next issue is what to do with the bare metal rim. There are fillers that are designed for use with powder coating that will smooth out imperfections. Next I would suggest to prime the rims with a zinc-free powder and use a quality top coat powder such as Tiger Drylac or Sherwin Williams. As to the luster this is controlled through the gloss level of the powder used.

Typically the higher gloss level powders will be more resistant to UV unless you go to a super durable powder. I hope this helps clear up some of your questions. Good luck!