Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Steering Rack swap

Old 05-07-2001, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Rack swap

Ok so i want to get rid of my power steering. Where can i get a manual rack and pinion? Do they even make one? Help.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Dump the power steering pump. That is all you have to do.

Remove the belt, drain all the fluid out of the pump, then cap the pump off.

The Tiburon and elantra have "power assisted" rack and pinion steering. So all you need to do is "dump the pump".
Old 05-07-2001, 11:08 AM

Um why would you want to do this? Any freed up performance won't be that much at all will it?
Old 05-08-2001, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

No, you won't gain much HP this way, but you will get a more connected "feel" for the road by removing the power steering from the system. Your steering wheel will vibrate a lot more, and you will feel the car "track" more, but you will have a much improved sense for the road and what the car is doing.

It's more of a personal preference thing. Also, by simply draining the fluid and removing the belt, you leave the option there of putting it back if you don't like it.
Old 05-08-2001, 11:24 AM

Thanks. I have Had a problem with tourqe steer. And every HP helps when your trying what I am trying. BTW look random I got stars!
Old 05-08-2001, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

To my understanding of the physics of things, removing the Power steering from the system will only make the Torque steer worse, and harder to control.

Right now the power steering system helps you fight the torque steer, if you remove it, it will be your arms vs the engine's torque.

You will win that battle, but it will be hard.

I remember reading an article on how to beat torque steer, if I can find it again, I'll post it up here. Gimme a couple of days.

[ May 08, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 05-08-2001, 11:50 AM

so crooked h i guess you are going all out drag. i mean you wont have no good handle on the car if you are not going in a straight line..
someone correct me if im wrong.
Old 05-08-2001, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

At speed, Rack and Pinion steering offers better feedback as to what the tires are doing. But it is DAMN HARD to steer at slow speeds. It would be fine 80% of the time, but in parking lots, you would give your arms a workout.

I've driven cars with non-power-assisted rack and Pinion, and you get used to it. It's not bad at all.

If you wanna get the feel of it, turn your key on in the igniton, but don't start the car. Then try to turn the wheels at a stop. It's DAMN HARD. Granted, without the power steering pump working for you, you are manually moving the fluid around, so it is even harder than just rack and pinion, but you get the idea.
Old 05-08-2001, 12:15 PM

I know that the torque steer gets worse without the pump but if i use dampers to keep the wheel straight it will help as well. If you can find the articles tha will be grat! Yeah i am going all out drag I am going to make the car as light as possible. Dropping the sway bars and unneeded parts. It sounds crazy but you have to do what you have to do to run hard!
Old 05-08-2001, 01:55 PM

If you're looking to save weight there's alot that you can remove but why make the car harder to handle? I'd get rid of everything else first. Even NASCAR Winston Cup cars have power steering!!!!!!!!!