Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Squeaking From Rear

Old 04-18-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

today i noticed a real bad squeak from the rear. i know the squeak is coming from the drivers side but i am not for sure about the passenger side. i think it might be my suspension but not for sure. here is the funny thing. when i push the breaks in the squeaking goes away. so i am totally stumped, please help me out and give me your thoughts on what is wrong. thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 09:01 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

When do you hear the squeeking?

If you hit the breaks and it goes away it's a brake/disc problem your having. Check your rear pads rotors drums what ever you may have there.

Jack the car up, release the e brake, spin the wheel and listen where the noise is coming from.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:05 PM

i hear the squeaking when i start to move, even sometimes when i just sit in the car, which is what made me thing suspension. i did change the breaks a little over a month ago. thanks for the help
Old 04-18-2006, 09:14 PM

When you sit in the car and it bounces or sways it might be your suspension bushings wearing out OR your seat. I know my seat squeeks.

What your describing more of is a break related squeek because when your wheel rotates it squeeks and when you apply break pressure it stops.

So follow what I mentioned above and keep us updated.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:18 PM

only bad thing is i dont have a jack on campus and cant go home for 2 weeks so i guess i will just have to figure something out. thanks man i appreciate it.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:20 PM

Do you still have your stock jack in the trunk? If not go to walmart, buy a jack than return it the next day. Not very ethical but if it's that annoying I'd try solving the problem.

OR rent a jack or find someone on campus with one, your bound to have someone with a jack man LOL Even a stocker from another car's jack they have to change to the donut tire.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:23 AM

Can this be a bad bearing? I remember when my bearing was bad, it would squeak constantly until I hit the brake. It would stop squealing for 5 seconds after I released the break and start up again. This squealing went away after I changed the rear bearing.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:50 AM

yea, same thing is happening with me. how do you change the bearings? is it pretty simple to do? where can i get bearings? thanks for all your help everyone
Old 04-20-2006, 01:49 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

First thing is first. In order to confirm that it IS the bearing, you need to jack up that wheel with the e-brake off (chock the wheels with some wood or something). Then grab the top and bottom of the wheel and see if you can rock it back and forth at all. (Pull toward you on the top and push away from you at the bottom of the wheel). Do this in many positions (spin the wheel about a 1/4 turn in-between each test). If you dont hear or feel a small klunk or any movement, then your bearing is likely fine.

If you do need to change it, you will need a press of some sort to remove it from the spindle and press the new one back in (DO NOT USE A HAMMER TO DO THIS). To remove the spindle, just remove that little metal cap over the center of the hub, and there will be a large nut holding the spindle on the hub. You will need to use a chisle or something to get the dimple out of the nut so you can spin it off (BTW, that nut is torqued to a little over 100 ft/lbs so it will be quite tight). Once the nut is removed you can just slide off the keyed washer and the spindle.

Next you have to simply press out the bad bearing (it will only press out from one side so be careful), and press in the new one. You can probably get new bearings from Auto Zone or Advance for under $20 a peice. If you don't have a press a local machine or auto shop should be able to do it for $20 or less.

Good luck with it. smile.gif
Old 04-24-2006, 03:37 AM

I have the exact same problem, only thing is that this is from the right front wheel. If I push the brake it goes away, and if I brake REALLY hard its gone for like one minute.. then its back. Is this the brake pads or what? If its the rotor or something I might as well go for a non-captive setup.