Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Spring Installation

Old 02-24-2005, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon
Default Spring Installation

I hope i dont get yelled at for this...I just got a Set of eibach pro kit SPRINGS from hyundai performance. Im gonna install it tomorrow in Autoshop. Im wondering if there is any tricks or tips you guys can tell me ahead of time before i mess something up. And how long did it take you? Im planning to have four guys (one on one wheel) and have it done within an hour... possible? or not?
Thanks
Old 02-24-2005, 10:21 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

QUOTE (rd1tib)
Im planning to have four guys (one on one wheel) and have it done within an hour... possible? or not?

Mate, with four guys you could prolly do it in 30mins... I didn't do mine because I didn't have the proper tools (& quite frankly, couldn't be bothered!) but I saw how it was done & one guy, with an apprentice passing him the odd tool here & there, did all four springs in about 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours.

Just make sure you've got air-tools & you should be 'right.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:24 PM

You dont have to have airtools.. I did mine without them.. Id suggest before removing the strut assembly to loosen the hold down nut (holds cap ontop of spring).. Dont remove it, just break it loose while the strut is mounted.. Makes it alot easier..
Old 02-24-2005, 10:25 PM

alight koo, with that said i feel a little more confident. My Autoshop has all the tools possible and thank god for the air tool. smile.gif
Old 02-24-2005, 10:49 PM

Took me about 2 hours just unscrewing rusted bolts... if it wasn't for them, it would have been done in about 1.5 hours. It's not a hard job when you got right tools.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:45 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

It'll take ya an hour with one air tool and a lift (you have a lift right...?)
Now if you have air tools for each of your friends (one guy/per strut) then 30 minutes tops.
I just got done doing mine (last Saturday) so if you have any questions I'll be checking this thread and my pm's tomorrow.

You have a spring compressor in autoshop right? It's a must have to do install, you'll need two.

Um here's problems I ran into for you to watch out for:
When removing bolts from top of rear struts be careful not to lose them in the trunk lining (they're a PITA to find and get it, they don't just fall through to the ground...)

Careful when pulling strut from car, they're kinda heavy and can pinch your fingers, I did twice...

Make sure to compress spring securely and correctly. Don't try and be quick with this part. First one I did, I didn't compress spring down enough and when I unbolted the top strut nut the top when flyin past my chin and straight up. (Aim top of strut away from you just in case!).

And make sure after install you get alignment done at some local shop (unless you can do that at your autoshop...?) It will make cornering much better and allow springs to their full potential.

For the future:
Within 6 months (preferablly sooner) buy aftermarket struts made for lowered cars and better suspension performance. You stock ones will take a beating from your lowering (or sports) springs.
The bad news: You'll have to do everything your about to do (in autoshop) again when installing new struts, but it's not that bad.
I was going to wait until I bought struts to install both but the opportunity arose and anxiety was setting in:

Good luck!

Oh yeah, keep one or two of your old rear springs (the skinny ones).
Later when you're showing your car you can clean em off and paint em, then use em to hold up your hood...laugh.gif:
Old 02-25-2005, 06:09 AM

Patreezy brought up a good point.

Be VERY careful with a compressed spring. Remember that it is designed to hold up your car through all sorts of conditions, it has all the kinetic energy of a small bomb when compressed. I have heard stories of them flying though windows, doors, WALLS, and even taking fingers with them when they go. This does not include broken bones (jaws, noses, and fingers mostly) when they go.

MAKE SURE YOUR SPRING COMPRESSOR IS SEATED RIGHT AND TREAT THE SPRING CAREFULLY!

We want to keep you around, k?
Old 02-25-2005, 08:55 AM

Yeah, the springs on old cars and camaros (last spring installation I did) are grumpy and usually the ones to go flying. I had no problems with the Tiburon springs after the first one.

Mad, I had a very close call, the strut was facing up and I was on my knees with the air gun taking of the top bolt when the top piece went flying up and instantaneously I whipped my head backward while still holding the strut upright so the flying projectile would not break my jaw. It almost hit the ceiling.

So dude, aim away! Even if you have the srping compressed all the friggin way down, do it as a precaution. And when taking off the top bolt of the strut (to remove the top piece) take it off slowly and feel for any upward tension the spring is giving. If it feels like it's gonna blow...then compress sping a little more.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:04 PM

well i did it yesterday (friday)... i was able to get 2 of them done at this time. 02.gif . I was only able to get one of my best guys with me. So we only did the front. The most trickey part was to put the new spring in the shock assembly. The darn thing wouldnt align correctly. It took about 1hour for the front. Didnt have enough class and lunch time to do it so i would have to finish up on monday. The front wasnt too hard, i think its pretty easy once you understand how to use the compressor. Well at least i got the front just in time for the Norcal Hyundai meet in Milpitas on sunday.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:12 PM

Get the back two done asap.

If you need help locating the top of the rear struts (to unbolt) then hit me up.