Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Speed Rating

Old 02-19-2003, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Rating

ok, so I need new tires. I'm ditching my Kumho Ecstas 712s cause I want all-season performance tires instead of summer tires.

I'm thinkin Yokahama Avid T4s, but they are only "T" speed rated. According to the speed rating, they are good for up to 118mph. That's nice and all but I exceed that speed every now and then... ya guys think this will be a problem? Don't want to get tires that are gonna blow on me when I am pushing it.

Also, if anyone has reccomendations for All-season performance tires that are somewhat inexpensive, throw 'em out!
Old 02-19-2003, 07:54 PM

Falken ZE-512... they're all-season, Z-Rated, and have a rim-protection ridge (i have 205-40ZR17). very grippy, you have to really try to spin these wheels, they'll hold nicely on mildly agressive driving, and still hold fine during moderately agressive driving.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:10 AM

Thanks phorq, found all-season performance Falken ZE502 tires, H speed rated. $79 a piece... not bad so I think I'm gonna get 'em.

I also heard that you are never supposed to get tires with a lesser speed rating than your stock tires. Since Hyundai slapped H speed rated tires on there to start with, it wouldn't make sense to get T rated tires.