Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Sounds Like Suspension

Old 05-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

check your wheel. My friend had a broken wheel stud and had the same problems under same conditions, and when fast acceleration and braking, and the wheels shook at high speeds. He never noticed he was missing a wheel stud and lug nut
Old 05-27-2006, 12:46 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

If I were you I would just get some new KYB struts and replace your wheel bearings with the autozone brand (NOT OEM). Even if it doesn't fix it (which it should), Hyundai wheel bearings are like a time bomb..and after 5 years of agressive driving the struts/shocks start to go bad as well, plus the car will ride much nicer cool.gif
Old 06-26-2006, 03:13 PM

SO?
What was it?
Let us learn from your experience also...
Old 06-26-2006, 03:43 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i would say cv joint.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:49 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i say CV joint too. mine knocks too because it's broken. i heard to have your axel replaced from a scrapyard will run you a better save.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:52 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

if it was a CV joint i would just get one from autozone they offer lifetime warranty

on my minivan i must have snapped like 25 axles all replaced free by autozone
Old 06-26-2006, 05:07 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^ HAHA. faith how many cars did you say you had? hehee.. i'd like to see you enter the gumball rally. yeah if they have a warranty on that stuff go for it. check your CV joint though too because mine has a severe cut in it.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:03 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I don't think it's CV-joint, they click but do not CLUNK that loud.
Also I think it happened to me when I braked hard with pressed clutch, so that CJ joints were under NO load and something clunked loud.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:38 AM

D is right.. CV joints click under load, they do not "clunk" until they make that final break and seperate.. and then you do not go anywhere.

As I stated before.. it is the trailing links. On the suspension, there are several different links that lead from the body to the strut. The ones that run from the front of the car to the strut control it's forward and aft movement. If the Bushings are done for on that link, it will allow the strut to shift under acceleration and braking..
Old 06-27-2006, 01:29 PM

Well, it turns out to be the front end! With 85,000 miles on the car, I am putting Eibach springs, KYB struts, new upper mounts and boots/bump stops on the car, as well as new tires. When I was doing the clutch, I noticed that the front wheel bearings are squealing, for the 3rd time since I have had the car. I have had the bearings changed at 30,000 and 60,000 (both under warranty). So, I am assuming by changing the tires, bearings, and suspension, I should be able to eliminate the problem. My grandfather inspected the rest of the suspension/steering components while everything was off for the clutch install, and he said everything was alright. I will make sure to re-inspect the CV joints and all the bushings when I install the new parts. I will post with my progress. BTW, I'm not sure why, but it seems that my wheel bearings are going bad too frequently. I'm not too aggressive on the car, and take really good care of the mechanical aspects (the body is scratched badly and needs a paint job). Maybe somebody could enlighten me to the wheel bearing problems that our cars have...