Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

somebody stop me i'm thinking of buying coilover sleeves.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 hyundai accent
Default somebody stop me i'm thinking of buying coilover sleeves.

I cant belive im actually considering sleeves

i recently got a set of front springs for my 2002 lc (1.5" drop). i am very disapointed with the result (now i want at least 3" drop). it drives great (other than struts bottoming out on big bumps) but it doesn't look much lower.i can get coilover sleeves for about 130 bucks.

-i know they will ride rough but if i go ahead and buy kyb struts will that help and make the car not bounce so bad. i have never heard of anyone likeing the ride from sleeves but i also never heard of anyone useing them with aftermarket struts.

here is a pic up after springs

old pic

maybe its because im used to minitrucks but i want to go much lower!

heres a pic of my truck with 6 inch drop and alot of custom work (i know the red really screws up a good pic)
Old 10-04-2009, 06:59 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

what kind of springs do you have on right now?

our elantra has B+G's and is 3 inches from the ground and it only bottoms out a little but the fender guards had to be removed. the tires are tucked more than an inch under the fenders and they never ever hit on stock tires. if any springs, those are the ones that would probably get the tires under the fender.

i actually bought new springs to raise my car a bit because driving it in the city was soooo uncomfortable. now it's ideal.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:12 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Coilover sleeves will bounce too much. Is it possible your old springs were just shot? Or maybe the car was already lowered?
Old 10-05-2009, 07:05 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Accent

Wait wait, what do you want out of the suspension setup? Looks or performance? There are trade-offs with both. I put in springs on my stock struts because I live where it's not uncommon to get 40cm of snow in a day. However what I added was a stiffer rear swaybar. Which most would say was way more of a difference in performance then the springs. The car all of the sudden turned more neutral far less understeer and a bit of oversteer if you're not careful.

If you want the look you may want to go far lower but also concider what rims you put on. You don't want to go to low if you're thinking of putting bigger rims with a larger offset.

I think your accent looks great not over done but people can tell it's lower. If you were to get rid of some of the rubber and put larger rims on that with a good offset that would look sexy. It would look clean vs just a show look.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:24 AM

-HyundaiKitCoupe-im not sure what brand the springs are. they passed through 3 sets of hands before reaching mine. I have a friend who rebuilds and parts out totaled cars. he got a car that was totaled and gave me the front springs (the back was wrecked so bad on whole strut assembly was gone and the ohter didn't look good.

-liveD83- i am wanting 15 wheels with 205/50 15. i actually had a set of zx2 wheels but i didn't like the way they looked on my car so im back to stock. see my cardomain site page4 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/494415/4

-i am going more for looks than performance, however i dont want it to be unsafe or to uncomfortable but i will sacrifice some comfort to get the look.

-I like the idea of coilovers because i can slam it when i want it looking good (shows and stuflike that) but i can lift it up to a drivable heigth when its getting me back and forth to work.

-the con on full coilovers is i dont race the car, there really expensive, and i only drive it to work since buying the family car (09 rio5 so nice to have back doors when your trying to get 2 kids in and out of the car)

-since im going to get new struts within a year anyway (kyb) i figured i would hit the forums to hear how the sleeves with kyb combo works out.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:55 AM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Spend the extra money and buy ksport coilovers. You won't be disappointed. KYB struts are OEM replacement and offer no additional performance. Do not cheap out on your suspension or braking. You will regret it. Anything worth doing, is worth doing RIGHT.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:52 PM

the nice thing with trucks was they were all metal. when my 2" spindles didn't drop it enough i just got out the plasma cutter, the welder, and hacked the frame up. i also converted the front suspension on this truck from torsion bars to coilovers (shocks not struts) this allowed me to lay frame during show season but have a couple inches of ground clearance while im dodging all the wild life in the roads (apparently all animals in rural central georgia gather in the middle of back country roads).

Struts actually carry the weight of the front end to the spindles and therefore to the ground. this makes it very dificult to fabricate a custom suspension. you alter the height of the spindle by as little as 1 inch and you can drastically change the front end geometry leaving your car with very bad over/understeer. i have been trying to figure out a way to raise the top spindle mount a few inches. this would lower the car with out affecting the suspension travel, geometry, springrates, or compression and rebound rates. i just cant figure out a way to do it because there is so much weight on the struts and theres no chassis to build suspension mounts from (because its a unibody)

so i guess im left with having to spend money (something i dont like doing) but a couple questions first

-1- is there a way to buy the coilovers 1 at a time rather than droping a grand all at once.
-2-do we know which coilovers from other cars will bolt up to ours. (i know Blackpearl has 2.5l subaru coilovers and the car is slammed with 17s) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/490783
-3-how much routine maintenance do coilovers require

thanx for your input. no rush here im still gathering info because i would rather build something unique than spend a lot of hard earned money on the same old setup we've seen a hundred times.