Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Slime?

Old 05-21-2013, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon FX
Default Slime?

One of my tires has a small leak in it. Not sure where its coming from. I cant see anything that may have punctured it. They're about a year old and still have good tread but they're out of warranty. Anybody ever tried some of the sealants out there like Slime? I seen it on the shelf at a Pep Boys

http://www.slime.com/shop/tire-sealant/
Old 05-21-2013, 01:45 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Don't use that stuff. It gets all over the rim and becomes a hassle to clean off.

Take it to a tire shop and have them plug (not patch) it. That's cheap enough and makes a great seal in most cases, that is unless its on the sidewall and then you're SOL.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Do you have a Discount Tire / America's Tire in your area? They do free tire patching/repair even if you didn't buy from them.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:06 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Originally Posted by Tibbi
Don't use that stuff. It gets all over the rim and becomes a hassle to clean off.

Take it to a tire shop and have them plug (not patch) it. That's cheap enough and makes a great seal in most cases, that is unless its on the sidewall and then you're SOL.

out of this entire statement the only thing i agree with is dont use slime

patches work better than plugs, plugs can fall out while driving. plus to me, fixing a hole by making a bigger hole sounds pretty retarded.

sidewall punctures can be fixed and are legal to do so
Old 05-21-2013, 06:33 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I've never had good experience with patches personally.

As for plugs, the hole is ground out more to remove burs that could damage the plug, I've never had a problem with any plugged tire. As for side wall, you can, but I'm of the old school paranoia.

More to the point, Slime/fix-a-flat, etc =
Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

a lot of places won't touch or work on the tire if they know or you tell them there is puncture seal or slime in it.

I worked as a grease monkey at a GM dealership years back and we patched tires (it's called vulcanize). If done right, it's a much stronger/better repair than a plug. Either is better than anything in a can.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The main question is where is it coming from. You could have corroded RIMS and leak from there. Get yourself a spray bottle with soapy water and inflate and remove the wheel. Spray the whole thing down and where it bubbles, it's leaking.

Slime is for high-reliability-requirement automotive tires, people who don't ask for advice, and bicycle inner tubes. If you don't 100% NEED to be up and running, with never ever stopping for inflation after running over nails or whatever, use slime. Everyone else, use patches or plugs. I had a tire that I drove BALD that had 5 plugs in it and none of them leaked* but if I were going to have someone else work on a tire, I'd have them patch it from the inside.

If there's a cut on the shoulder, that might kill a tire. I'm not a fan of patching sidewalls but a small hole might be alright to patch.

*Even after repeated rotations, none of the other tires would collect road debris, just that one! Must have been magnetic rubber or something. The plugs didn't leak though so whatever.