Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

rotor removal

Old 01-02-2005, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: RD Tiburon Calendar

Help!!! I can't get my front rotors off!!! btw the car in question is a 2001 tiburon. I would like to try to aviod having to cut them off( i don't have tools to do that) Does anyone have any suggestions???
Old 01-02-2005, 03:00 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL
Default Re: Car missfire

First off we have to find out if you have Captive or Non-Captive Rotors. You should have Non-Captive Rotors

Basically if there are 4 large bolts in between your wheel studs you have a Captive Setup. Pain In The A$$ to change rotors on. You have to use a slide hammer to remove the hub/rotor. If you have this setup (highly doubtful) post up and we'll help you out.

In your case there should be 4 phillips head (**NOT POSITIVE**) screws. Remove those and you should be fine. The rotor should come off after you take off the caliper and that. I have heard of some people having to cut theirs off but I hope you don't have to.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:07 PM

The rotors are *NOT* captive rotors. The only things on the rotor face (besides the bolts for the rim) are two very small phillips head screws. I have removed these and have the rotor rocking back and forth, but it will not come all the way off..
Old 01-02-2005, 03:09 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Re: rotor removal

Hmm... I thought only the rear were captive and that only applied to early RD1s.

Hit them from behind with a rubber mallet. That should do the trick and it won't hurt the rotor in case you were just going to get them turned.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: XBox or PS2??

I am trying to replace the rotor. I have hit it with a rubber mallet (broke the head of it off) a regular hammer (makes my arms numb) and the back of an axe. The rotor comes off about a quarter-inch but makes a "clanking" sound when pulled any farther forward and (obviously) won't come any farther off. It looks like the inside of it is filled with rust.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: rotor removal

Yup, use the rubber mallet. They should come off. You know the saying, if it doesn't work use a bigger hammer. It's only the old rotor your busting up anyway.

As for the captive VS Non-captive I just wanted to be sure. I think mid 99's actually came with the Non-captive setup too.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: LaughatRice.com

I have some jelly-like rust remover inside of it now, but I'm not holding my breath...I have been dicking around with this stupid thing for the past 3 days. anyone want to next day air me a torch???? haha
Old 01-02-2005, 03:41 PM

this is so simple... ok. The little screws that hold the rotor on... If you look carefully, the threads in the rotor are LARGER diameter than the threads in the head. There is a reason for this. Go and get a bolt that fits those threads (I forget the size) and NOT the threads in the hub... screw them into place and just keep wrenching them in.. they will push against the hub and lift the rotor right off no sweat.

I discovered this from the guy behind the counter at the local AutoZone.. after spending an hour beating on my one front disc that didn't move at all. I did wind up breaking the mounting face on that rotor.. but it was enough that I could tap it off easily with a hammer.. the other three came off easily with the bolt trick.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Just wanted to say hi

the holes you are talking about...are they the ones that the small phillips head screws came out of? where would you suggest getting the bolts from? I mean, are they special bolts or will plain old hardware store bolts do?
Old 01-02-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: LaughatRice.com

See classic example of how you learn something new everyday. Nice one Mad-Machine.