Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Rolling Inertia Calculator?

Old 07-20-2008, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

ok you math gurus, let me know this:

there are calculators all over the net to figure tire size, rim size, backspacing, etc. but is there a calculator that has been configured to figure out if you drop weight on your wheel/tire combo, how much it will effect gas mileage?

I'm probably reaching quite a bit on this one but it doesnt hurt to ask. for example:

i'm in the process of deciding which new rims i want on my car. my old ones were pretty badly curb rashed by the first one. before i started thinking about new rims, i started my new project, painting my rims. I got them sandblasted and before i started to paint them i weighed them for sh!tz and giggles. I about had to change my shorts when i found out they weighed 26lbs!!!!! and that is without tires mounted, good lord.

anyways, I have narrowed it down to the following three. wheel dia. is 17".

tenzoR DC-6 blk w/ red stripe(17.0 lbs. , not bad)
motegi trak-lite 2.0 flat blk (14.2 lbs whoa momma....but could i trust these as a DD based vehicle?)
konig feather flat blk (16.7 lbs.)

When i go home to see my family (200 mile round trip plus cruising around town, make it 230 miles) i fill up before i go and refill at the same place. never changing my routine in terms of how i get to and from home and back. i average 29.89 mpg total, never above 30mpg and that is really pissing me off. Would dropping 35 lbs. of rolling inertia weight even with the heaviest of the rims i have decided on help me gain some more gas mileage? if so , how much?

thanks in advance,
Lee