Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Replacing Brake Pads And Rotors,

Old 03-18-2007, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon SE

alright, well im probably doing something wrong here or it would of worked, before i left i tried tackling my brakes and gave up cause it wouldnt cooperate

now tomorrow im hopefully get it, i got rich's low dust perfomance pads and the fitment is perfect so im pretty sure its something on my end

well when i take the caliper off the brake pads are pretty much hugging the rotor, and since there obviously used there thinner then the new ones, so when i put the new ones on i cant fit the rotor in between the brake pads, i tried moving things and stuff but cant seem to get it, and really don't want to bust something and then figure out i cant stop =/

thanks
Old 03-18-2007, 01:24 AM

Vehicle: 2001 tiburon

Are these on your rear brakes? cause if they are you need a tool to turn the caliper piston in... it looks like a cube... and has different ends on it, u can get one at pretty much any auto parts store... just ask for a brake cube or something like that.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:42 AM

Yeah, your pistons need to be pushed back in the caliper.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:05 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon SE

was doing this on my front brakes,

all ill have to go ask today thanks smile.gif

also the front brakes, they have a little metal shim betwen the piston and brake pad, the new ones didnt come with any and was wondering if i need it at all in there
Old 03-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

put the old shims on the new pads. The only place to get those is hyundai and with a set of new pads. I know one of my shims broke....... yeah anyway. Like the others said get a C-clamp or one of the brake pad compressor thing and smash that piston back. THEN you can slide the pads/caliper back over the rotor no problem. The first time you hit the brakes they will tighten up against the rotor.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:38 PM

All the premium aftermarket pads from Carquest & Advance Auto Parts I have bought for our Tibby's have came with the shims. Some times I used them sometimes I didn't.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

wonder if the XDs have a different pad, probably. Advanced guys even checked the other box's to see if they had any. No go. 02.gif
Old 03-19-2007, 03:47 PM

I never bothered reinstalling the shims. They are only there to help keep the brakes from squealing anyway, and I never had a problem with that.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:50 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Push caliper pistons in. BTW. It would be much easier if you did that with old pads and caliper on the hub (you just put a flat screw driver in the caliper, where you can see 2 pads and a disc in a "caliper window" and move them).
Old 03-20-2007, 04:09 PM

I had this problem when I was doing my rear brakes, I was used to the piston just pushing back, but ours twist as o1 tib said using that tool, but personally I just grabbed a big flat head and twisted them back.