Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Rear-end Slides Out While Cornering

Old 04-19-2007, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the rear struts. They're not missing those bolts. Crap. But I did see that the struts had Hyundai tags on them, so they probably have 120k miles on them! So I'll be replacing them as soon as is possible. So worn rear struts alone can cause all this?
Old 04-19-2007, 02:15 PM

Yes worn struts can cause that. With the dampening force all but gone, it gets VERY easy for the rear end to unload the tyres due to weight shift. No weight on the rear tyres while cornering.. snap oversteer
Old 04-19-2007, 08:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Ever since I bought my car new, I can remember it sliding out the rear. That's just the way the Tib is. It's probably because it's so light in the back. My car even did it today.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:15 AM

unlike many front drivers the Tib is a very well balanced car. I was impressed when I bought mine NEW how easy it was to provoke the rear end. As the car got older and the miles were added up, the rear got looser and looser and looser.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:24 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

QUOTE (JonGTR @ Apr 19 2007, 10:23 PM)
Ever since I bought my car new, I can remember it sliding out the rear. That's just the way the Tib is. It's probably because it's so light in the back. My car even did it today.

I agree !

Ive spun out the tib twice since i owned her, both at speeds of 60 mph or better.

the first time I was coming off and an exit from one highway that leads to an onramp on another highway.

so it was an easy right off the highway, to about an easy left for about a 1/4 mile back over the highway I was just on, then

an easy right that leads into the highway im getting on.

so...

during the easy right thay merges into the second highway, im doing about 70, its a really nice swooping right left right from highway to highway, easy right !! wrong

as i came into the last right the ass just started to loose it, to the left, very slowly, mind you im doing about 70 mph, so i let off the gas, and she looses it even more, im thinkin ohhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiittttttt

so im pointing now towards the right shoulder

a little brake pump, and she over corrects and ass kicks out to the right, and now Im pointing into the lanes of traffic, still thinkin ohhhhhh shitttttttbubbles

again a lil brake pump, which was at this point a little too much brake, and she slides back the other way, ass out to the left, im now pointing at a light post, thinking im not hitting that, no way, im doing about 45 mph at this point, so I say to myself Im loosing it, this is unrecoverable, time to think minimum destruction, so as im sliding towards this light post, I decide to call it quits, and bring everything to a halt

i yank the ebrake, and this b****, her ass ass kicks out to the right, im now doing a 40 mph spin to the left, across 2 lanes of traffic, and end up stopping in the fast lane, pointing into oncoming traffic, I slam it into lo gear, thats when she was still an auto tragic, and cut the wheel to the right, and jump into the middle grassy shoulder so freaking quick, that as i came up on the grass, and knew i was safely out of traffic, I was doing like 10 miles an hour, I slam on the brake, an slide into a tree about 3 inches thick, and bounce off of it, coming safely to a stop. what a rush that was.

so that was the first time, completely stock tib !!! with like 30,ooo miles on her.

the second time, I was a year and a half ago, mods were eibach springs, with KYB GR2 struts, and 17 in rims, the lightweight concept pros, with goodyear eagle f1 gs-d2 tires.

now i had these tires for a while and I know they take a while to warm up and get sticky.

but i left my brain at the house before i left

so anyway, theres a turn we call the gran turismo turn, its a sweet 500 foot left hander, with nice 5 to 10 degree incline, 2 lanes.

I could hit this doing 80, in the stock tib, but in this case 50 mph was too much.

again same symptoms, only felt like i was in oil or water, or oil and water LOL,

as i came to the left, the ass kicked out, but this time the tib was now a manual,

so i was in a nice 4000 rpm in 3rd gear when i entered the turn,

so the ass kicks out to the right, I clutch kick and she corrects but just a little too much, and she kicks the ass to the left, and then I braked pumped and shit bit hard, a little too hard, and the ass came around, to the right, and I ended up in the middle shoulded sliding sideways right side first over the soft curb, and into the grassy median,

I cut down the 2 right side tires, but no rim damage.

real lucky on that one, cuz to the right of that turn as you exit, is a driveway and a fence and van that I avoided to destroy, plus my brother, and his girl were in the car.

I remember my brother saying mid slide, when the ass came out to the left, he says, "dont loose it, dont loose it", Im like. "shes goin, shes goin" and then we were sliding into the dirt. !! LMFAO !

so all this leads me to believe that the rear is light and almost uncorrectable when the weight is put on the front, not the best when you cant transfer weight by hittin the gas, due to it being a front wheel drive car.

all in all though, ya live and ya learn, and Im saving up for a porsche GT2, haha

probably some front sway bars would help, even rears, but mostly stiffening the front would help the most I think
Old 04-20-2007, 08:19 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

or the whole problem could be avoided by knowing the limits of your car and not putting yourself in situations where your going to put the tib in danger because either a. the car cant handle it or b. you cant handle it

if you know your tires,shocks, whatever cant handle much. then dont put it in that siuation; that just seems like common sense to me. idk
Old 04-20-2007, 10:50 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

^^^ right, so tell me, how are you supposed to know those limits if you dont cross them ??

its obvious by what you just said, you have no clue what the limits are of your car.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:19 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

That's how my friend learned the limits of his motorcyle riding capabilities. Instead of saying to himself, "okay I'll approach this mountaneous curve at 35mph because I know I can do it at that speed, and if I feel comfortable I'll try it at 36mph next time" he said "35 felt good, let's try 60!" and lost his bike and now has a piece of his ass skin-graphed onto his chin. He is now known as "butt-face" and always will be known that way.

Spin your car around into on-coming traffic and get in a head-on, you won't have to get your ass skin-graphed to your chin but you'll have to explain to your insurance company "oh I was being safe because I wanted to see the limits of my car, how can I push the limits if I don't know the envelope?"

lmao.gif

TLAR - That looks about right. Go by it, and please, for the love of god test your abilities on a track. Not a road through the mountains on your own one late night...
Old 04-20-2007, 04:15 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (loneshark @ Apr 20 2007, 12:50 PM)
^^^ right, so tell me, how are you supposed to know those limits if you dont cross them ??

its obvious by what you just said, you have no clue what the limits are of your car.

Maybe thats one of the reasons of a track to leanr to drive your car. Please don't endanger everyone else on the road, transportation not lets see how fast I can go around this corner and maybe Ill spin out.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:56 PM

loneshark...you might like an EMPTY parking lot and a g meter...a little safer and a lot more fun huh?