Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Rear-end Slides Out While Cornering

Old 04-18-2007, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was driving to class today and was in a bit of a hurry as I turned into the school (around 40-45mph) and the back end of the Tib slid out as if I was going 60+.

I recently had new KYB GR-2 Struts installed in the front along with new Strut Mounts, and then everything was aligned. But my rear Strut/Shocks were not replaced and the Tib's got 120k miles on it. I'm assuming this is the reason this happened but I'd like to know if there is anything else that could cause this.

And if indeed it is new rear Struts that I need, does anyone have some with reasonably low miles they'd be willing to part with? I can't find just rears on Ebay... I'll make a WTB if need be.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:20 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

i am very curious too about this because i just might've totaled my 2nd tib, because of the rear-end sliding out (amoungst other things).
Old 04-18-2007, 05:33 PM

dude sounds like you got a serious problem. lol what were the conditions like? (weather) and how stiff/ soft is the ride in the back end. if its really hard or bounces forever it is usually a sign that the struts/ shocks are bad.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:37 PM

Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

My Elantra did that too. It was fun as hell. Mainly did it just after the rain stopped. Do you have an aftermarket sway bar back there?
Old 04-18-2007, 05:53 PM

It was dry as a bone, I have no aftermarket sway bar, and I did the Push-Down test on the rear and it bounces instead of going straight back like the front end. And when I go over a big speed bump, you can REALLY tell that it bounces, and I hear a Ptsch sound (like gas compressing kinda) out of the rear end when I go over those bumps, which my front end used to do as well, until I replaced the struts (now it doesn't).

My bet is the struts haven't been replaced since it was bought new and they're bad, the question now is will bad rear struts make the rear end slide out like it did? or is there some underlying problem that could cause this?

Edit: Oh and on another note I'm currently running hard rated tires (Cooper Zeon ZPT) on the Tib now on the stock 15's and they never did get the best grip...
Old 04-18-2007, 06:44 PM

Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

I'd say replace the struts and retest

cool.gif
Old 04-18-2007, 07:37 PM

^ i agree
Old 04-18-2007, 07:47 PM

Ok then I guess I'll look into that, but I can't seem to find just the rear ones anywhere.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I think I know the problem ive had somehtign lie this. Try shaking the wheel, if its realy lose thats the problem (youll knw when you try it). Now take off the wheel and where the strut connects on the bottom with the 2 bolts you most liekly only have one there. Put another bolt in problem solved, hopefully this is the problem because it can be fixed in minutes for almost free.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:59 PM

It IS loose..... I tried tightening the PS belt earlier today and it didn't fix the problem.... I didn't bother mentioning it because I didn't think it was related....

Do you think it's missing a bolt on both of the front struts? A local shop installed the front struts, is it a common thing to only have one bolt put in or what? Also does it matter what kind of bolt I use if it is in fact missing one?

Weird, the free-play in the steering just started today yet I had the work done like a month ago.... I'll check on those bolts ASAP but I'm in the middle of writing a paper due at 12 tonight. Ugh.