Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

rear brake upgrade for TIB 2000

Old 02-01-2014, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: hyundai tiburon 2000 2L.
Default rear brake upgrade for TIB 2000

hi tuners!I was looking for an answer before decision, but cannot find...I would like to upgrade the brakes on my 2000 tib ; so I easily found that for front brakes, front rotors 11 inches + calipers from XG350 do the job. but what about rear brakes? are rear rotors 11 inches + calipers from XG350 bolt on my tib ? another solution ?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:56 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

I just use all EBC gear now,it stops me from around 110mph at the track no prob !
Old 02-01-2014, 06:27 AM

ok, but I'm looking for a solution with 11 inches rotor for rear brakes...
Old 02-01-2014, 04:55 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

the size you're considering for your rear brakes is overkill..there's a reason why rear braking systems have smaller dimensions that the front..weight is one reason, tires is another.

oversize brakes will make the rear tires more prone to locking up and causing you to lose control since there's almost no weight on the rear wheels on a front wheel drive car,

it's better to upgrade to higher performance pads and rotors instead of customized or modified parts..i have a 97 elantra with drum brakes and ebc green stuff pads on the front and they stop hard and quick..size isn't always the best answer.

another thing you'll be doing should you choose to go the bigger brake kit route is adding weight which makes the car noticeably slower so consider that.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

The XG brakes are an enormous help imho. The Tib's native brake sucks big time. That said I would consider it a support mod in anticipation of further power adders. On a stock motor they're completely unnecessary.

There's also no point in upgrading the rear. As has been stated, you can get much better pads which will do all the job you need. Plus the RD is fairly light anyway so big breaks are not a huge must. If you do feel like blowing cash unnecessarily (
Old 02-02-2014, 03:15 AM

Tibbi, may you have a link for brembo GC rebuilt?
Old 02-02-2014, 05:15 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,1704

Scroll down to "A-1 CARDONE Part # 196410"

You'd need a left and a right from rockauto, but you'd have to source some adapter plates, brake pads (obviously), extended brake lines, rotor ring and some 114.3x4 rotor hats which you may need to source externally or drill (not recommended). I looked into this a while ago and I believe that the rotor hats for the S13/240sx BBKs will work with the proper thickness rotor disc.

You'll need to match the height and thickness of the Tib rotor (below) to the 340mm diameter of the GC disc. Sounds complicated but it's not that bad.

tib: GC:

Then you'll need a hat with correct height, bolt pattern and hub opening.

There were some some concerns about those claipers posted previously, but nothing yet confirmed:

https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...0-for-brembos/

I wouldn't personally have any more concern than a rebuilt caliper from one of the big-name auto parts stores.

edit:

Adapter plates from any year Tib will do. GK plates may be easier to locate.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:34 AM

Thanks for this reply ; but these rotors must be compatible with 18" wheels at least.

But following my first post, may someone have installed 11 inches rotors on a tiburon RD ?
Old 02-02-2014, 10:52 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

you will not find an inexpensive rear 11" rotor set for a decent price.

thats all that is to it

you can custom make a set but it will be expensive and not be worth it at all.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It's worth it if the car looks the way it is intended by its owner to look, and the cost is considered to be reasonable to the owner of the car. Yes, the rear brakes on an RD do basically nothing from stock. Yes, the front brakes are more than adequate to stop the car as long as there is traction. No, you don't NEED big brakes to stop the car.

However, in order to not look like a jackass riding around on big wheels, you need to do something to address the tiny rear discs or (worse) drums. + to Tibbi for the value-add post.