Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Rattling Noise From Rear

Old 02-13-2006, 04:23 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I've had a slight rattling noise since i bought my vehical that comes from the rear when i go over bumps. I thought it was the spare at first so i took measures. Then i figured it was the hatch. Then the spoiler. I thought it was the brakes. I changed out my stock suspension to KYB yesterday in a hurry and was not able to troubleshoot the problem.

I got it figured out. it is somewhere on the rear struts. I need to know what needs to happen to fix it. or if anyone else has had this problem and found an easy fix. There is no gasket on top of the pillars which i thought to be kind of wierd, just metal on metal. I don't really know what part of the strut it is comming from, i just know it is the strut.

What should I look at to stop it rattling when i tear this bad-boy out again?
Old 02-13-2006, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

It may be your rear sway bar. Mine does it. Try moving strut bar with hand (back'n'forward) near bushings.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:59 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You sure it's not your rear licence plate or frame if you have one? Hatch shut tightly? You have a spoiler or no? If no, you might wanna look at the 3rd brake light in the center of your hatch.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:34 AM

Vehicle: 99 Tibron

check for hamsters in rear
Old 02-13-2006, 02:02 PM

Could be the rear latch, it's a PITA and the only way to get rid of the noise is to change it ofr a new one. It seems over time it gets worn and the cable and other mechanism parts, rattle against the body.
Go figure.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:15 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

if it's trund door - you can adjust it - there are 2 rubber things on the corners of the door, turn them so they be a little longer.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:21 PM
DTN

QUOTE (Dmitry @ Feb 13 2006, 08:42 AM)
It may be your rear sway bar. Mine does it. Try moving strut bar with hand (back'n'forward) near bushings.

No, not sway bar, that was the first thing i hit with a mallet when i had my car up on jacks today

QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Feb 13 2006, 09:59 AM)
You sure it's not your rear licence plate or frame if you have one? Hatch shut tightly? You have a spoiler or no? If no, you might wanna look at the 3rd brake light in the center of your hatch.

my entire license plate, high mount, and spoiler have mounting tape and weather stripping securing them and are bolted in place.

QUOTE (Zman @ Feb 13 2006, 03:02 PM)
Could be the rear latch, it's a PITA and the only way to get rid of the noise is to change it ofr a new one. It seems over time it gets worn and the cable and other mechanism parts, rattle against the body.
Go figure.

no. latch is fine. this is more of a clunking sound.

QUOTE (Dmitry @ Feb 13 2006, 03:15 PM)
if it's trund door - you can adjust it - there are 2 rubber things on the corners of the door, turn them so they be a little longer.

I have my rubber screws adjusted to max.

I guess this is an uncommon problem? I was hoping for a quick fix. It's comming from the drivers side rear of the car, it's when i hit bumps.

**quotes corrected
Old 02-13-2006, 08:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

did you take off the rear tires and look behind the sway bar endlinks?

they sometimes get cocked inwards and will rub against some of the wheel well, making an awful noise over every bump.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:02 AM
DTN

in an attempt at troubleshooting, i replaced the struts. Maybe that's the problem though... I never checked to see if that thing was actually "aligned"

...... Tibby01, thanks man. I just got under my vehical and felt the position with my hand, it's pretty darn close to the crossmember. If it's not the problem, it's a VERY good place to try next. I'll try that as soon as i get my vehical back on the lift.