Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Question about brakes!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS
Default Question about brakes!

I'm having some problems with my new brakes. First off I'd like to say that I've changed dozens of pads and rotors on many different cars, I know what I'm doing. At least I hope so! I swapped out the OEM pads and rotors for EBC slotted and dimpled rotors and EBC green stuff pads. The brakes are an exact fit/match to the OEM's.

This is my problem......

I'm hearing noise when I drive the car over 40km/h. Not too sure how to describe it, but it sounds like a rubbing or clicking noise (not loud but you can hear it if you stick your head out the window while driving). When I drive under 40 km/h or just coast, I hear nothing. The car isn't pulling in any direction and I can "roll" the car on a hill or incline with no resistance (nothing is sticking). I have checked/taken apart the brakes 3 times now to verify I have them installed correctly and to make sure they aren't rubbing. Everything looks PERFECT. I greased the sliders, installed the shims, and used brake grease where needed????? IDK!

I guess what I'm asking is... does anyone here have or used slotted and/or dimpled rotors? Do they normally make noise? I'm starting to think this noise may be normal????? Other than the noise the brakes work AMAZING!

Any help or thoughts would be VERY appreciated, I have to take a 7 hour drive in a couple weeks and want to have this problem sorted out.

Sorry for the super long post.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Unless you have calipers with a retracting piston on both sides, one side of your caliper will always drag a little teeny bit, but it sometimes will "float" away from the rotor. This drag is very light. On a smooth rotor, maybe you don't hear it. At low speed, maybe you don't hear it. Jack up the corner of the car and there may be very, very, very slight resistance that you can feel when you put the palm of your hand on the sidewall of the wheel/tire as you rotate the wheel.

It might be "normal" but . . . try putting a small radius on the edge of the pads, just eliminate the sharp corner, and see if the noise goes away. Don't take off lots of material, and don't get your hopes up.

The only other thing I can think is there may be a little high spot on the rotor somewhere. If it only happens 1x or 2x per revolution, I'd suspect a machining defect. If it's rhythmical with each slot or drilled spot, you might just have to get used to it.

High friction pads will be noisier

Bonded (vs rivited) pads will be noisier.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:20 PM

update - noise is still there and I can now disassemble and re-assemble the front brakes in less than 10 minutes per side! . I have no noise from the front right? Just a "rubbing" noise from the front left. I have a feeling the caliper may need to be replaced/serviced? I think it's not fully releasing when the brakes aren't engaged. I'm going to take the left side apart again and see what I can see/do. Any ideas or suggestions? Or should I just go buy a new caliper?
Old 10-08-2011, 12:30 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Are they slotted dimpled rotors? did you put them on the correct sides? I'm just guessing you didn't as you've covered all the basis. Take a picture. I know people who have had the slots facing the wrong way and it was noisy and ate the pad away

Your probably only hearing the left because its closest to you.

If thats not it, like stocker said the machining may be off on the rotor
Old 10-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Originally Posted by SR Tech
Your probably only hearing the left because its closest to you.

This.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

the noise is most likely the slot on the rotor passing the pad, ive heard this before with slotted rotors, possible your caliper is sticking a little as my front driver side is making a noise as well. I replaced the pads and turned the rotors with an on the car lathe and I was not able to push the piston back by hand like I could on the passenger side.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:17 PM

So I just finished taking apart and reassembling the brakes again! I re-installed the OEM shims on all the pads (I was trying the brakes with NO shims) and sanded the edges if all the pads. The "rubbing" noise seems to have disappeared? There is still a very slight noise from the brakes, which I expect is just a normal noise with slotted and dimpled rotors....??? It definitely is not a "rubbing" noise like before. I'm going to drive the car as is for now (I have a 7 hour drive on Friday) and to be honest I'm not even sure if there is a problem?

As requested here are some pics of the front brakes, the rotors were installed on the proper side according to the boxes. You tell me if they are right or not...

Passenger side

drivers side
Old 10-10-2011, 02:22 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

the rubbing noise is probably from the pads breaking in (it takes usually about a month or so). the clicking noise is probably from the pad going over the slots (while breaking in and later only under braking). that is normal.