Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Preventing rust on the rotors over winter storage

Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Tib I4
Default Preventing rust on the rotors over winter storage

Id like to prevent surface rust on my rotors and was told by a mechanic that lightly coating them will help prevent this. It's the oxidation of the steel surface that causes the rust. Keep the surface coated, it can't rust.

So my question is what should I put on them? A thin film of grease where it wont run off or any type of thicker weight oil? What about just spraying them with WD-40? Obviously I know any grease or oil I put on them will have to be cleaned off completely in the spring before driving.

Oh and the reason why I dont want them to have surface rust on them for the next 6 months is because I read a few articles that if you leave surface rust on for a long period of time it can cause pits in the rotors. Definitely dont want that to happen.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Wrap the wheels with plastic if you're that worried about it. Flash rust develops overnight and you don't even notice. Heavy surface rust isn't a problem, either. Grease is the LAST thing you want on your rotors, and WD-40 evaporates. If you notice your rotors are developing heavy rust under the plastic, go for a drive and it will all burnish off by the time you go around a block with stop signs at each corner.

Google is your buddy

http://www.wikihow.com/Store-a-Car
Old 10-26-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

surface rust is nasty. i just got some zinc plated rotors and while they still rust they don't do it as bad.