Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

powerslot slotted rotors

Old 05-16-2001, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powerslot slotted rotors

I have a question about the slotted rotors. I hear they clean the pads better by shaving a little of the pad off. I was wondering do they prematurely wear the brake pads. I called stranoparts.com and the lady said that customers have been complaining about having to change their brake pads every 2 months.

hyundaipower
Old 05-16-2001, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Slotted rotors are actually slotted to allow gass build up to escape. When U apply the brakes, the heat generated by the friction of brake pad on rotor causes little gas pockets to form and expand. This can cause brake fade. It can also allow heat build up which will warp your rotors. By "slotting" the rotors, they give the gas somewhere to expand into, thus elimating some aspects of brake fade, and they aid in cooling to a certian extent as well.

They will wear the pads down faster vs normal rotors, but Cross-Drilled vs Slotted, they wear down about the same.

With "stock pads" on slotted rotors, I would only give the pads about 10K to 15k miles tops. If you were to move to a more agressive aftermarket pad, you should get about 20k to 30k miles out of them.

2 months is a useless figure because you don't know how much they drive or how they drive, and in what conditions they drive.

Keep in mind, slotted and cross drilled rotors really arent made for the street. They were invented for track use, so brake pad durability/longevity was really not a concern.

If you go to performance parts, you should know there is a price to be paid for the performance gain. You won't get 80,000 miles out of a set of Yokahama Parada's.
If you want you want your brake pads to last, go with stock rotors.

P.S. My motorcycle has cross drilled and slotted rotors. If I could get 10,000 miles out of a set of brake pads I would be very happy. I usually get between 6000 and 8000, so I basically replace them every second tire change. (yup, my Motorcycle tires only last about 3000 to 4000 miles...at about $150 each mounted and balanced.)

[ May 16, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 05-17-2001, 02:07 AM

I just want something that'll look good and stop good. I was planning on putting on the EBC Green stuff pad. 20k - 30k on pads actually isn't that bad. Plus I've been taking it easy with my car. So it's not like I'm driving super aggressive anymore. Just every now and then. wink.gif SO I think I'll go with the slotted rotors with the EBC green stuff. And then buy the steel braided brake like kit for like $169.

hyundaipower
Old 05-17-2001, 02:11 AM

and btw.. I plan on running 205 45 16 yoko a520s. wink.gif And I can get them cheap ($400 for all 4 including balancing). That's the plus' of working for America's Tire Co. tongue.gif So the tire issue is no problem. DO you know if it's pretty easy to change the pads on the 95 elantras?

hyundaipower
Old 05-17-2001, 02:42 AM

Great tires I have them 215x40x16 on 7.5 rims and Eiback springs. Great tires for the money!!
Old 05-20-2001, 08:24 PM

Vehicle: Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart GSR

I have grooved discs on the front with Ferodo DS2000 pads - I'm v happy with them.
Considering my 'driving style' I need all the stopping power I can get!

Random - I didn't know you had a bike, what you got?
Old 05-20-2001, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I rather modified, not exactly street legal Suzuki GS500E.

I paypaled you the money, but they said you never picked it up. Look for an e-mail from me....