Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Pot hole season

Old 02-07-2011, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Tiburon FX
Default Pot hole season

So pot hole season has arrived in all its glory. NJ and NY roads are probably some of the worst in the country. Every time I go out, I feel like I'm auto crossing on the roads just to swerve and avoid the craters that plague the city.

Anyway, this hasnt happened to me yet (knock on wood) but I'm fearing the worst where I'll hit one of these road craters and end up bending or destroying the rims and tires. Has anyone here ever successfully went after their city to get them to pay for a new rim or tire if yours gets destroyed from a pot hole? How long did it take for them to pay up and what was the experience like? I know here we have to contact the state DOT if something happens but Ive never heard of anyone getting their rims replaced from potholes. Wondering what my luck would be like if I did have to go after them for a replacement. :paranoid:
Old 02-07-2011, 05:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

my buddy has a lowerwed civic aftermarket EVERYTHING and he hit a pot hole and put a hole in his oil pan and went to the city to have them replace it and they said they wouldnt do it because his car isnt "to factory standards" or (its not stock)in otherwords. so i guess u could say he attempted to with no success lol
Old 02-07-2011, 05:21 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

We get the serious road frost heaves this time of year too. Best bet is to steer clear of back/country roads until spring when the road levels itself back out.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

My dad lost a lower A-arm on a fullsize pickup to a pothole. They called the city of Houston and said this pothole was going to get somebody killed b/c it was right in front of a railroad crossing . . . they were going to sue the city and went back to take photos . . . and it was already filled!

So a relative's almost-attempt is as close as I get.