Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Opinions on Aluminum Lug Nuts...

Old 03-16-2005, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUOTE (ArcticChill)
So what's my point? 1-2 lbs extra pounds will not make a difference. If it's more then 5-10lbs, then yes, you'll notice your wheels will spin a bit faster. But over a bunch of lug nuts,...that's just a waste of money on lug nuts.

While I will agree that perhaps lugs are not the best place to shave weight.. One pound removed from the wheels CAN make a difference. While removing a pound from the car may not see like much, a pound at the wheels is a two fold advantage.

One, it is Unsprung weight, meaning it less mass that needs to be controlled over a bump.

Two, it is rotational weight, meaning it has mass sitting and even more when accelerating. Removing a pound of Rotational mass IS a big difference when it comes to acceleration, cornering, AND braking.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:23 PM

That's what I was talking about mad. If I can reduce my wheel + lug weight from 18 pounds to 13pounds that is a big difference in acceleration and braking.

I have already removed over 50 pounds of crap from my car, 20 pounds dropping form the manual tranny that is going in, and 20 pounds in rim weight shaved off.

That is around a hundred pounds dropped from stock, with an almost full interior still.

Thanks Ultra, I was using those as an example, Is Zenki a brand?
Old 03-16-2005, 06:43 PM

Yeah Zenki is a brand. They have some very nice lug and valve stem sets that are in various different colors, are lightweight, and are the tuner style so they fit with aftermarket rims. Just make sure you get the 12x1.5 cause if not you will have some problems laugh.gif:
Old 03-16-2005, 08:04 PM

I would have to say that al lug nuts suck big time, and the first time your car goes into a shop, they will be overtorqued/crossthreaded with a gun and ruined. You need to use a torque wrench every time, since you can't tell by feel when they're at the proper torque.

If you want to save rotational weight, get some lighter tires. An ounce at the tread is worth a pound at the lug nut, since the lug nuts are close to the center of the axle.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:07 PM

Not sure what you mean by al? But if you get aftermarket performance rims 99% of the time you will have to get tuner lugs. Which use the special included key to take them off and put them on. If you use an air gun with them they will be destroyed. Just tell the morons at the shop that when you take the car in. Then if they break it they bought it.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:53 PM

I think he means Aluminum by al.

I will be doing all of the torqueing......
Old 03-17-2005, 04:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I dunno, I'm really thinking of picking up a set of those Ultra. You got pics?
Old 03-17-2005, 05:24 PM

I actually just ordered them, they had been recommend by some people I have talked to at TSR Racing. No not TeamSharkRacing like I am sure you thought. TSR is a shop in the severna park area that does very high quality work. They have a 500+hp del sol which I must say is wicked and a 400 or so hp s2000. They both use these lugs on their rides and they looked really nice and stood up well so figured I would give them a try.