Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Nosie..

Old 05-06-2005, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, ANY time my car is in motion there is noise what sounds like its coming from the front. It almost sounds like the brakes are rubbing. I was thinking maybe the rotors are warped or something. or the bearings are going bad. I guess the best way to describe how it sounds it super swampers on a highway. but not as loud. anyone?

Can I get good rotors for under 100?

And if its the bearings how much are those and how hard are they to replace?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 05-06-2005, 09:00 AM

What car do you drive?

The bearings are a major PITA to replace, and if you have captive rotors, so are the rotors, could be done, but if you have never done it before...

Could you be more specific on the sound? Does it sound at what speed, it increases frecuency/loudness with speed? Does it happen when you are moving ver slowly like when parking?
Old 05-06-2005, 09:02 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

For rotor's I would look on ebay or you can contact Rich at rotorpros@yahoo.com
and tell him Mario sent you and see what kind of deal he gives you. If it's all 4 rotors there's no way you can get them for 100$.

For the wheel bearings I just changed mine, cost $100 with taxes.

I put them in myself. You need a press to get the wheel bearings out and in. If your not experianced with this kind of stuff I might leave it for the professionals.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:05 AM

I notice it most when i am driving through town. not on the highway. so speeds at around 25-45. It doesnt get any louder with speed. but i gets louder and louder each day. Its loud enough to give me a headache. I dont really hear it when i am going like 5 mph.

and i have never changed that stuff before but my father has. and he is the one who will be helping me.

and what is captive rotors?

And its only the front rotors. i have drums in the back
Old 05-06-2005, 09:09 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

How many miles on your car, what year, and did you ever get your wheel bearings replaced?

Captive rotor is where you have to remove EVERYTHING to get at the damn rotors. PITA. You have captive rotors if you see 4 nice sized screw heads on your hub.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:12 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

It's probably a wheel bearing based on your description of 'super swampers on the highway' (a humming sound) but the humming or grinding should increase with the speed of the car.

You would have captive front rotors if your car was manufactured prior to August '98.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:02 AM

The car has 117,000 miles and its a 97.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:35 AM

Then you have captive rotors. If it is warped rotors you should notice it under braking more than anything. You will feel a pulsation through the brake pedal that will be worse the higher the speed you are braking from. If it is a wheel bearing that is failing it is more of a humming or grinding noise that speeds up as the speed of the car increases.

It would be best to have it checked out to determine the exact cause. If it is a wheel bearing I think you would be wise to have a shop take care of it for you. Unless you are very experienced at auto repairs and have the right tools, it's not a job you should tackle.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:53 AM

Oh yeah i know the rotors are warped. when i hit the brakes they vibrate and sometimes its like a grinding noise. but this is a newer noise and i was just hoping it wasnt the bearings.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:09 PM

I have a new set of front cross-drilled rotors available for $50.00US shipped if you're interested. Check out my posting in the For Sale section.