Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Non Captive Rotor Question

Old 03-16-2009, 02:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

Ive been looking to do the non captive rotor swap so that my universal 4 lug rims will sit down without spacers. Well thats alright and everything but I was wondering, why cant you jus take out the rotor bolts and drive like that? This might be a dumb question but I thought I would ask. This would be easier cause either way Im gonna have to mess with them some what, my front bearings are shot. Lol.

Im sure that it wouldnt work that easily but I thought I would ask just in case. Kinda figured that since the non captive rotors arent held on by any bolts, why cant you jus take out the bolts on the captive rotors? All feedback is greatly appreciated. I need to act quickly. Those front bearings are bad.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Go take a look at the pics in the DIY for the swap, you'll see.

See, the bolts, if I remember right, hold the rotor onto the hub. The rotors have the lugs pressed into them.

Take off the bolts, and you can bolt your rims right on, but there is nothing to hold your rotor/wheel to the hub.