Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Noise/rubbing Sound

Old 01-08-2007, 07:50 AM

Location: Burlington Iowa, where theres just as many tractors on the road as cars.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the drivers front wheel bearing last week. I took it apart and had a shop remove the old one and press in a new one, picked it up and put it back together. At first there was a rubbing sound and after a few miles it went away. Now I have a "diffrent" rubbing sound but only when i go in a straight line, but when i turn the wheel, apply the brake, or accelerate, it allmost goes away. WTF?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:59 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Could be a problem with the bearings.

Why in the world would you bother having a shop press new ones in? The hub assembly itself is only $50 @ autozone.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:43 PM

Location: Burlington Iowa, where theres just as many tractors on the road as cars.

Figured it out. But the problem was soooo easy, soooo stupid that I`m even embarased to tell you. It was so elementary that a 22 year old thats ase certified didnt figure it out. owned.gif
Old 01-08-2007, 04:21 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dangit, how can you just leave us hanging like that? What was it? Fender well cover? rock in the tire?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:44 PM

Ok fine you forced it out of me DrivingTib. When I first put the wheel back on after changing the bearing, I used the factory`s tire-iron. A few days ago the rubbing sound came back and this morning I went to investigate the noise. I jacked up the car and when I went to take of the wheel, I noticed that the lugs were loose. Only 1 was actualy holding the wheel onto the car!!! The others I could take off with my hands!!! So I tightened them back up and went to work and used a torque wrench to tightened up all the wheels. I feel like an idiot 02.gif
Old 01-08-2007, 08:10 PM

That's odd... since spec is only like 80 or 90 lbs with a torque wrench on our cars, I would have assumed it would be overtightened if you did it with a lug wrench.