Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Nitto Neogens

Old 03-15-2010, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok so it's about time for some new tires (thank you 5 spd swap wink1.gif ). Anyways, I have been debating whether to get the falkens I have again or to try the Nitto Neogens. I personally love the falkens because they are great in the rain (I live in FL so that's a pretty big deal) and have lasted me a long time. However, on the web I've read good things about the Neogens. So I know a couple of you have had them in the past (Redz and Tibbytib IIRC) what did you guys think of them? How were they in the rain?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

never tried the neogens but i can't say enough about hankook K 106's.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Neogens were one of the most popular tires 5 years ago.

I love the Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals myself... especially since they have a protective lip for the rim. I remember they were picky on sizes tho... I got 'em on my rears.

you can kind of see the protective "lip" at the top of this pic:
Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

every interesting...

have to keep these in mind down the line...

granted i can only use 215/45/17 in rear as well
Old 06-16-2010, 10:37 AM

Bringing this back from the dead, since I'm buying tires by the end of next week. Still considering the neogens but I've heard that they don't last long. Anyone care to comment?

Also, I'm having trouble finding UrSoNvS' recommendation. Did find these Hankook Ventus HRII H405 that I'm also interested in. Any comments about these?

By the way, looking for 205/50/15
Old 06-16-2010, 10:52 AM

Vehicle: 1998 & 2001 Tiburon

^^^

I'm on my second set of Yokohama YK520's. They're all season so grip isn't that great but they are very predictable in wet and dry which is why I like them. They last forever too. I think I got 60K on my first set.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Forgot I had my other wheels/tires on for some of that time so probably more like 40K, still great life though.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:18 AM

If we're talking summer tires then I don't look anywhere past Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...S&tab=Sizes

I'll be autocrossing on them this summer as soon as I finish my suspension, and wet grip is good enough. Just don't get them if you expect to run them on snow or ice.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:24 AM

^^^^ Those look nice but don't they would last too long and longevity is a factor. Also, I need something I'll feel secure with in wet since I live in FL and deal with rain often.

Winston, I've never been a fan of Yoko's. Thanks for your input though!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

If you are lowered with rims, Neogens are the tire for you.

I was going through Nankangs about every 12k or so. I've had these one for about 20k and they still look brand new. Since most of us drop our cars on a budget and dont go all out suspension upgrade, we get negative camber. This wears out the inside of the tire at a much faster rate then the center or outside of the tire. When I was shopping a few years back for a tire that would last longer than 12K (ridiculous!) I found the Nitto Neogens. These tires are actually made for the import tuner crowd. From what I read, they use a different compound on the inside of the tire that wear better. So far so good. I have eibachs with Monroe struts and they have really held up well. Even wear on all 4 tires, even after 20k on them.

I would totally recommend this tire, and honestly, when I am up for tires again, I will be looking for another set of neogens, or at least another set of Nitto tires that are made for tuners.

Oh yeah, they are SUPER grippy! Even after 20k, they grip the road VERY well. Wet weather, not so great, snow and ice, forget it, call a tow truck.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:55 AM

How bad are they in wet? I've read that they aren't that bad in wet. Are they predictable in wet?