Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Nitrogen

Old 07-12-2008, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read this crap...

http://www.livescience.com/environment/080...ogen-tires.html

So using nitrogen instead of air in your tires will increase your gas mileage by up to 10% huh? When they went outright and stated that air is made up of almost 80% nitrogen. I've talked to people who do stock car and drag racing, and the only reason they use nitrogen is because it doesn't expand when heated, thereby not changing the pressure in their tires, and not affecting the launch. But car tires are DESIGNED to accomodate for the rise in air pressure when heated, and won't cause problems if kept properly inflated. Now, their whole little blurb on how the tire will keep its pressure longer if you use nitrogen may be true, but they just can't go off claiming that by using nitrogen, it will increase your fuel mileage by up to 10%. You have to be really lazy if you can't go out to your car once a month to check your damn tire pressures. However, people are morons, and they will buy this

"The parallels to nitrous oxide are misleading," says Lawton. "Nitrogen does not support combustion, making it even safer than oxygen when it comes to blown tires."

I didn't know blown tires explode. Oh wait, some do, but only if a MORON fills their tires with fix-a-flat, which uses a flammable propellant.

bs2.gif
Old 07-12-2008, 08:57 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I know a lot of places are starting to use nitrogen. Ive even heard of it possibly being mandated along with TPMS systems on everything. The moisture in air is effecting the sensors and throwing off pressure.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:53 PM

Vehicle: tiburon SE 2000

most people don't check they tire pressure, so i guess it's why they say that
Old 07-13-2008, 09:44 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Sonata Turbo

hep lexone is right ......

95% of poeple don't chek there tire pressure or don't evan know how to.... why they do it also is because as time goes by with nitrogen ou loose less presure the normal air....
Old 07-13-2008, 11:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

It's new, but it still has not caught on and probably won't in the near future, like no2 cars. too expensive from some of the things i have heard about it and for the vast amount of gas stations NOT using it, i'll keep with air. cheack your air pressure when you fuel up, its that easy.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:21 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Its sad to look at all the cars when driving on the road that 90% of them are driving with low air pressure. I bet if everyone checked that alone there would be a big savings in fuel as well.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:28 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

There are benefits to it, but i would only do it if you could get it for free or next to it as i'd rather just fill it with air and maintain the proper pressure...
Old 07-14-2008, 03:54 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

for the retail side of things, Nitrogen is useless. it's basically a marketing gimmick for those tire places that DO use it. the pressure change due to heat isn't THAT bad considering automotive tires don't get nearly as hot as, say, NASCAR tires where Nitrogen makes sense. those tires are reaching crazy high temperatures.

the only thing where i can see Nitrogen being useful is that it can eliminate (or slow down) corrosion build up along the bead of the rim, which can cause slow leaks.

and since someone brought it up...... I HATE TPMS!!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 04:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Many shops and dealers are using only nitrogen so they arent replacing tpms sensors under warranty. Theres no moisture with nitrogen aso corrosion doesnt happen nearly as much.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:29 PM

QUOTE (Bullfrog @ Jul 14 2008, 07:21 AM)
Its sad to look at all the cars when driving on the road that 90% of them are driving with low air pressure. I bet if everyone checked that alone there would be a big savings in fuel as well.

That's exactly my point. It's like sparticus said, it's a gimmick. The story leads people to think that the reason there's so many tire issues (i.e. blowouts, premature failures) is because compressed air is causing these problems. Disregarding the fact that the actual issue is failure to perform the proper maintenance. At any rate, if you have a tire leaky enough that it bleeds down a significant amount of air in a month, then you've probably got an issue nitrogen won't fix.