Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

New Tires, Anyone Familiar With Either Of These?

Old 03-13-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm shopping around for tires and rims, and actually have found a nice package deal on some rims I like. However, I'm not sure about which tires I should select of the two which I have to choose from. Any help or input is greatly appreciated.

BTW - I drive my tib daily, so I'm looking for a nice riding tire with good traction in the rain, good treadware and is quiet. Below are the 2 I have to choose from.

Cooper Zeon ZPT
Falken Ziex ZE-512

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:13 PM

I had the Falkens, two complete sets. Fantastic in many attributes (dry grip, wet grip, rim protection ridge), but they have pretty crummy tread-wear in my opinion. I went through those 2 sets in 3 years on only driving them from May-October of each year.

-note- I was running 205-40-17
Old 03-13-2007, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the input phorq. I am looking at the same size, 205/40/17, and will probably only run them about the same time frame as you did...plan on switching back to my factory rims in the winter.
The treadware rating on the Falkens is 360 and the Coopers is 380...pretty much the same, at least rating wise. I'm really curious about noise rating...anyone know a good website to go to which would rank both in several categories? I've done some googling but haven't found a site which has both, and its difficult to know if a ranking on one site for one tire is actually equal to a rating on another site for the other.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:47 PM

I have the ZPT's on my stockers and I like them... They get decent traction, and Id recommend them to anyone looking for a decent all around tire.

I think a few others have the same tires, Redz included if I remember correctly... If not, it's because I got an early start today, lol burp.gif
Old 03-13-2007, 08:31 PM

Thanks Dark Shark...hopefully others who have the ZPT's post their opinions...looking to pull the trigger on this deal in the next couple of days, the recent warm weather has me itching to get the stockers off of there.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I have the same Coopers and same size on my tib. Last time I drove the tib they were fine, had good ride quality and good traction.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:16 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

I've currently got the Falkens on my car (had them since June or July of last year) & they're very good in both wet & dry... particularly good in the wet compared to other tyres I've had in the past.

The wear on them is only just as good or bad as anything I've ever had before. I rotated them for the first time in December & the tread is still pretty meaty on all 4 tyres. I do about 400-500kms a week & don't mind punishing them a little too fing02.gif
Old 03-13-2007, 11:34 PM

Aww man, no sumotomo? Go with Falken.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:40 PM

am i the only one with hankook's? i mean, they where recommended to me by many people. and they are KDM smile.gif

i know its posted sumwhere, but what the widest you many go with a stock suspension and no kit? and the widest with suspension and no kit?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:45 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

^ I read somewhere that the Sumitomos had a problem with the rubber on the sidewall coming away from the rest of the tire after so many kms. I read that in a couple of reviews. Could've been a dodgy batch though.