Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

New Tire Update (Impressed) !!LONG!!

Old 10-10-2001, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tire Update (Impressed) !!LONG!!

Quick Recap.
I had 4 tires needing to be replaced. One bald, one @ 1/3 tread, and the other 2 equal at the middle of the other 2.

I was taking a ride on the interstate, and got jamed up by a BMW 7 series. In order not to smack into its ass, i was forced to lock all 4 wheels and take the tibby into the wall.

Recap of damage.
2 scuffed rims, 1 blown tire, a wear down to the cords on the bald one and smaller wear spots on the other 2.

I didn't have the funds to replace with the stock michelins(the only tire avaliable in town in my size). the rents offered to gt me a set of 4, but had to go to sears automotive. I decided to go with 195/60 b/c sears didn't carry anything in 205/50 either.
I picked out 2 tires, a yokohama and a dunlop, being the 2 best choices within the budget that i had. Went to one place, and the manager gave me a hissy b/c the tieres i wanted were not oem size. i showed her a page from c5 corvette and proved to her they would fit, but she said no.

I called the other sears auto center and they said it would be no prob, but i might be asked to sign a waiver etc.etc..
Went in the next morning, and what was promised in an hour wasen't done till 4pm, and i got there at 8am.

I ended up with a set of 4 dunlop SP 195/60/15.

I find the ride is MUCH smoother than the stockers. Handeling is improved, but this could more than likley be due to the fact of that i had crap for rubber =). Pickup off the line seems a lil slower, but acceleration seems a lil "flatter"?? I still seem to run with the quickness, but i guess the only way to describe it would be something like the tourque curve got even flatter?? Pickup in higher gears seems improved. Grip is MUCH better than on new stock michs. I can turn the steering wheel to left and right extremes and there is no rubbing. And i have felt no bottoming out on bumps. I go this weekend to the dealer and am gunna take a test drive in one of their remaining 2000's and do a bit of comparison, and hopefully will be able to describe the differences a bit more accuratley.

My service manager also promised me a test drive of the new model once they get them in ::evil giggle::

Anyway, i'll write an update this weekend after the comparison drives.

Later,
Chris