Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

New coil-over system

Old 04-16-2003, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New coil-over system

sharkracing just came out with a new coil-over system.
it is builted by B+G. installed took about 3hrs. or so. it is very easy to to install. the ride is very nice.

the ride is smooth, but on corners, is very stiff and strong. there is no body roll, no brake dive, it gives the tires max traction. steering response is very nice, the coil-overs setup has a progressive design to it. dual spring design(helper spring), with progressive design on the main spring. for a set of coil-over thats corners that well, ride very nice for a everyday driver.
everyone that rode in my car, love it and amaze on how nice it ride and how nice it takes corners.

I took it up to mt. baldly a few time making runs up and down the mt. the run up the the mt. is about 40min run going about 45 mph. the run is make of turns from easy to 160-170 degree turns(a almost full u-turn). suggested speed(yellow turn sign) for turns range from 45mph-20mph, not including 160 degree turns.

before with my eibach springs, front/rear strut bar, my average speed was about 60mph(very max, scary!!!). with the coil-overs, my average speed is 75mph(easy)I can go faster, but that's too fast for me on 2-way lane around mt. turns

now for the install, make sure you use stock spacers for the rear. the spacer act as a washer/spacer for the top strut bolt.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:35 PM

Hrmmm.

Got a few questions Sonic
Cuz I was thinking of getting the Eibach pro kit springs as well as the pro kit damnpners.... but now you got me thinking Coilovers!!!! evil_gri
Oh yeah, Eibach Sway bars, were also part of the plan! evil_gri
I figure I could just do the 1.2" drop, nothing too drastic, and good for AutoX, but now with the coilovers, it's 0"-3". I would LOVE to have the car SLAMMED for the summer, but I have to drive the beast in the winter too, so that'd be perfect if I could go back to stock height. That's why I was thinking 1.2", cuz then winter would not be bad at all.

1. After getting lowering springs, the car should have a 4wheel alignment,... how does this apply to coilovers, since you'll be (well at least me) changing the height a few times. Like SLAMMED for the summer and back to stock height in winter,... or differnet heights in between, does this mean I need an alignment all the time?

2. How easy is it to adjust the height, and how do you go abouts doing it?

3. Do I need a camber kit?

4. On their webpage, it says it comes with Eibach springs,... were these the same as your Pro-Kit ones? The ones that were 1.2" drop.

5. I guess you just used the stock damnpners?

Wonder if Brad will read this and answer too?

Thanks!

Oh yeah, even if I do go with the Coilovers, the Eibach Sway bars will still be going in. I currently have front and rear sturt tower bars on the Tib, you think this is overkill? evil_gri

[ April 16, 2003, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: KayJai ]
Old 04-16-2003, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

KayJai:
1. After getting lowering springs, the car should have a 4wheel alignment,... how does this apply to coilovers, since you'll be (well at least me) changing the height a few times. Like SLAMMED for the summer and back to stock height in winter,... or differnet heights in between, does this mean I need an alignment all the time?
In theory, every time you change your struts, or remove/install struts, you should get an alightment. Once the coilovers are installed, you should need an alighment. Once done, you should be fine, unless you change your ride height by more than 2". If you do change your ride height drastically, then yes, you will need an alighment again.

KayJai:
2. How easy is it to adjust the height, and how do you go abouts doing it?
It is fairly easy. It is easiest to do if you remove the wheel (easiest way to get to struts), or you can go around the wheel or under the car. It uses dual locking perches. So you just spin the perches up or down with the included spanner wrenches.

KayJai:
3. Do I need a camber kit?
Depends on how low you go, and what your alighment settings are now. I would reccomend it if you every try for more than a 2" drop.

KayJai:
4. On their webpage, it says it comes with Eibach springs,... were these the same as your Pro-Kit ones? The ones that were 1.2" drop.
The springs are special Coilover springs. That must be a mistake by SR. The springs might be made by Eibach, but if so, they are the Eibach SRS Springs, not their normal lowering springs.

KayJai:
These are FULL coilovers. They come with a strut/damper. These are not like the ground control "sleeve" coilovers.

KayJai:
Oh yeah, even if I do go with the Coilovers, the Eibach Sway bars will still be going in. I currently have front and rear sturt tower bars on the Tib, you think this is overkill?
Not at all. We kept Sonic's strut tower bars. I would reccomend the whiteline swaybars over the eibachs. Half the cost, adjustable rear, thicker front bar.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:38 AM

Aren't full coilovers supposed to be a PITA for daily drivers? I thought you needed a shop to make the adjustments. That's what I took away from reading some posts Bat Lord did after his Kore Coilovers. I probably read it wrong, it was awhile back.

I was going to go with Ground Control, but Arospeeds are half the price on ebay. Any warnings on those we should know about?
Old 04-17-2003, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

coupe2k:
Aren't full coilovers supposed to be a PITA for daily drivers? I thought you needed a shop to make the adjustments.
No. The reason the full coilovers from KORE were such a PITA was because the KORE coilovers are 100% Fully adjustable. They are very easy to "screw up". Having them installed by a shop was necessary to get them setup equally. These coilovers are only HEIGHT adjustable, so there isn't really anything you can screw up, other than ride height irregularities...which you can see with the naked eye and a tape measure. And that is the same kind of issue you would have with sleeve coilovers like Ground Control or Aerospeed.

coupe2k:
I was going to go with Ground Control, but Arospeeds are half the price on ebay. Any warnings on those we should know about?
The aerospeeds are cheap. You get what you pay for. The Ground control units are much higher quality, but, overpriced in my opinon. If only there was a middle ground between the 2. If it was my money, I'd bite the bullet and buy the Ground Control's if you are determined to buy only sleeve coilovers.

After riding in Sonic's car on Stock struts and Eibach lowering springs, then riding in it with the installed full coilovers, I'd say go with the full coilovers, no question about it. They are worth the money. Bumps are much less harsh compared to the stock struts/eibachs, but overall ride quality is firm/good.

[ April 17, 2003, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 04-17-2003, 09:29 AM

Thanks Random!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by KayJai:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are FULL coilovers. They come with a strut/damper. These are not like the ground control "sleeve" coilovers.

I guess SR, needs a new picture then

http://www.sharkracing.com/sus/hyundai/coi...ilovers-gc.html

That's where I got the "Comes with Eibach" springs from too. Is that not the price, and the "new" coilovers?
Old 04-17-2003, 10:26 AM

Here is the link that has the information on them:

http://www.sharkracing.com/sus/hyundai/coi...oilovers-sr.htm
Old 04-17-2003, 11:10 AM

DAMN!
Those ARE purrrty! bow_down
And yeah, kinda more than expected!

I thought they were the $400 or so ones,... I'm like, that's kewl! But these are like $1600Cdn plus duty, and other crap by the time it gets to me.

I'll stick with the Eibach prokit springs, struts, and sways.

But damn! Purrrrty!
Old 04-17-2003, 11:40 AM

Put me down for a set when I come back from the Gulf. bow_down Sharkracing.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:01 PM

Thanks Random, that's what I figured. The problem is the Ground Controls and the Eibach Pro System are pretty close in price. Will have to think about that for a bit. dunno