Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

new brakes squeak?

Old 08-24-2004, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: tweeters

hey guys
anyone knwo if new brakes are supposed to squeak and grind a bit for the first couple months?
Old 08-24-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Zefiro Gen I frp vent hood

I cant get mine to stop! Only when I turn the wheel tho. Ironicly its the ceramic brakes on the front that are squeaking and not the semi-metalic on the rear.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:12 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Default Re: new brakes squeak?

Make sure it's the brakes and not the metal retainer on the back of them. My freinds Elantra had that problem and it was the metal retainer.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:37 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Re: 2004 ABQ BBQ - Who's Coming? (ABQ = Albuquerque New Mexi

you mean the actual brakes or pedals? brakes = either you've been braking too hard and the rotors are warping or breaking in with the shoes. it's actually quite normal. don't brake hard for a few weeks and it will go away.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:02 PM

Default Re: What do ya think

well i got new rotors and pads so its very likely that they are breaking in... 'm sure my mechanic would have told me if my retainers and calipers were rusty...
i don't breke very hard.. usually downshift to slow the car down.. its usually just from second gear to the stop that i hear it..
Old 08-24-2004, 08:20 PM

Default Re: EBC Greenstuff

hey man... i put new brakes on not too long ago... they STILL squeak, in fact... its worse than before i put the new brakes on.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:42 PM

Default Re: EBC Greenstuff

any ideas how to stop it or whats causing? its realyl bloody pissing me off... my car sounds ghetto!! i know it looks ghetto but it doens't have to sound like that too
Old 08-28-2004, 09:30 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: thoughts on airram and bbtb

um, a month later?? shouldn't still be doing it by then. Maybe the guy for got to put lube between the pads and calipers.... usually it comes with new pads.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: Sanding door and dash

here is what you should do....

1. make sure the thin metal shims were re-installed with the new brake pads.

2. buy some caliper grease from any automotive parts store and lube up the caliper slider bolts.

3. there are some sprays you can buy that you spray directly on the rotors and its supposed to make squeeks go away as the pads make contact with the rotor. i dont trust them, but if you wanna give it a try, go ahead. what i did get though is this orange glue type stuff, that you apply to the back of the brake pad. it works in a similiar way as dynomat, by absorbing the vibrations that cause sound.

good, luck, i know how annoying those sounds can be.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:42 PM

Default Re: new brakes squeak?

Hrmm.. No, they might squek a little bit, but they SHOULDNT be grinding.. I just did my pads (all 4) today.. I have NO squeking or grinding whatsoever.. Like above, go grab a couple packets of brake grease ($1/piece), and lube all contact points, make sure to lube the shims so the brake pad can slide freely, and the caliper bolts.. Just use 1 packet per 2 wheels..