Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Need help upgrading suspension

Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Need help upgrading suspension

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around the forums a bit but haven't found exactly what i was looking for. I'm looking to upgrade my suspension before i go back to school, specifically improve the ride comfort. Since i bought my vehicle with more than just a few signs of neglect I've decided to look into replacing it. Right now my ride is a little rough, more so than my girlfriend prefers, so i'm looking for a more comfortable ride. I'm NOT at all interested in raising or lowering it, personally i just don't like the look.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on whether i should go with the strut/spring combo or coilovers? In addition, brand preference would be greatly appreciated. Any personal opinions, research anyone might have stumbled upon in the past few years, or personal experience would be excellent! (IE. quality, durability, or ride comfort) As far as price range goes maybe anything under $1,000? I was planning on installing them myself and then going to STS to have them adjust everything.

Thanks guys!

Andrew
Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 AM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

If your looking mainly for ride comfort and don't want to lower it I would advise staying away from coil-overs. They tend to be quite stiff. It sounds like you would be happier just replacing what's there with a full new stock set-up. Call around to your local auto-parts stores and start pricing out different parts. As for brand suggestions....... ????
Old 08-05-2013, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by pas1216
If your looking mainly for ride comfort and don't want to lower it I would advise staying away from coil-overs. They tend to be quite stiff. It sounds like you would be happier just replacing what's there with a full new stock set-up. Call around to your local auto-parts stores and start pricing out different parts. As for brand suggestions....... ????

How about Koni Shock - Sport Series?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:52 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by pas1216

If she hates the ride now, coilovers will be miserable.

Think more OEM replacement, even konis with good springs will be rough
Old 08-05-2013, 01:42 PM

How about Bilstein?

It doesn't look like there is anything with a monotube for my particular car. Is what it is i suppose?
Old 08-05-2013, 07:05 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

It's a sporty car. Although, not many people actually get to the point of complaining about the ride, so maybe you've got a damaged component somewhere. I'd also recommend four new OEM dampers.

Bilstein and Koni are both excellent. If you send them an email outlining what you're after and what your budget is, they can point you in the right direction.

Koni and Bilstein tend to have good quality control so their shocks are nice and consistent on all four corners of the car. Their F-V curves are also better due to the higher class internal components.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:34 PM

Did a little suspension test on my car when i got home from work. Turns out their is some kind of leak on the front left end. Looks like i'll be doing a suspension swap sooner than expected

Thanks guys, i'll be lurking and maybe post again if i run into some trouble down the road... lol.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you have low-profile tires, consider getting some fatter sidewalls on smaller rims as a way to make the ride less jarring. If you fill out your profile and disclose your location, you might get a member from nearby to offer you a test ride in their car with balloon tires. Heck you might even be able to swing a trade, if you each like the other's wheel/tire set more than your own.